Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: need quick feedback: is this letter too strong?

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I think your letter sounds very good

Have you mailed it yet? I hope it helps you get a quick response from these people.

karen

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

those snappy parts are the ones I liked the most! hehe

-angi

ybab is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate the feedback and help. I printed the letter, signed it and then didn't send it, b/c I had to agree with mickey2 that it was too emotional. My DH ended up hand-delivering copies of the signed IEP and Progress Report to the SpEd coordinator and the principal. He told them in person when we wanted the meeting. And the same day we got the official meeting form (the last full day of school). So after all that, I didn't need a letter! I still cannot believe that I had to insist that my son DID have an IEP AND provide copies of the paperwork, just to get my son's IEP out of the round file where they had tried to put it. UGH.

Your comments and support were very helpful, and also made me realize how much I have to work to stay on top of this. Last year, Ryan's teacher was so on top of his specific needs, and she drafted the IEP. This year I can see that I'll have to do much more of the legwork. How the heck do I know what are appropriate goals for a 1st grade NLD'er?! It's so frustrating. Well, you guys know what I'm talking about, I'm sure. I've been trying to read the wrightslaw webpage, but to be honest - I'm finding it completely overwhelming. Any tips on where to begin?

Thanks again!

zoeyz is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I'm glad you got the meeting set. I think I'd still rework the letter and send it, the reason being I think that you should document the fact that the IEP was lost. I think that is an important enough event that it should be documented and kept on file (yours and theirs) in case future issues arise. Always best to have a paper trail.

You are in Mass, arent you? If so...
    If you had not signed the IEP after a certain number of days, your school district should have turned that fact over to the DOE. The DOE should have then sent you a letter. Basically they should have treated it like a rejected IEP and offered you mediation or a hearing. I have found some school districts dont do this because it can get ugly..

Was this Ryans first IEP? If not, then the old IEP should have been continued until you signed or otherwise resolved the whole thing.

I posted below in your IEP thread about a DOE IEP facilitator -- I strongly suggest you call to request their presence at your meeting. Marc is a nice guy and you will enjoy speaking with him.

As for some great advice? Join Spedwatch.org (MA group). They have a members eyes only forum that is fantastic, as is their newsletter. Post a request for help and help you shall receive in way of what exact laws/regs you need to site etc. Great bunch of parents there who are very knowledgeable, and Ellen Chambers who owns the site is a fantastic resource for information.

- Julie

ybab is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by Jules2
    I posted below in your IEP thread about a DOE IEP facilitator -- I strongly suggest you call to request their presence at your meeting. Marc is a nice guy and you will enjoy speaking with him.

As for some great advice? Join Spedwatch.org (MA group). They have a members eyes only forum that is fantastic, as is their newsletter. Post a request for help and help you shall receive in way of what exact laws/regs you need to site etc. Great bunch of parents there who are very knowledgeable, and Ellen Chambers who owns the site is a fantastic resource for information.

- Julie
    Thank you Julie!! I left a message for Mark earlier this week (no response yet) and just emailed the Spedwatch group. I really appreciate your help! I'm going to try Mark again on Monday, and every day until I get in touch with him!

Quote Originally Posted by ybab
    Thank you Julie!! I left a message for Mark earlier this week (no response yet) and just emailed the Spedwatch group. I really appreciate your help! I'm going to try Mark again on Monday, and every day until I get in touch with him!
    Mark is a BSEA mediator, so he is out of the office a lot. He will return your call, but following up is a good idea and he seems like the kind of guy that would welcome the reminder.

Your school district will be on their very best behavior with his presence. If you contact the Federation for Children With Special Needs http://fcsn.org/index.php they can supply you with an advocate at no charge.

Good luck!

- Julie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2