Thread: Finally off our double-blind study...starting Focalin

justLaura is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Finally off our double-blind study...starting Focalin

Yay! We've spent 15 weeks traveling over an hour each way in rush-hour traffic to do this study, but I think it will help. For those who don't know, B participated in a study for ADHD kids, testing whether they respond better to stimulant or non-stimulant meds. Since we were about to explore new medication treatments, this offered an opportunity to have a very closely monitored trial with each (vitals measured each time, daily charting, weekly assessements with doctors, periodic assessments by teachers, etc).

They are going to use this information (and our blood!) to determine if there is a genetic link to what kind of medicines work best for different children. If it works, a diagnosis of ADHD could lead to a blood draw, and hopefully eliminate a lot of the trial and error of ADHD meds as the "right" medicine would be identified.

Anyway...net for US was that basically, neither medicine was a clear winner. And, we have to wait until next week to find out which meds were which. However, it's pretty clear (from the sleep issues that B experienced) that he was most likely on the stimulant medicine (concerta) this time around.

So...we are starting today on "tweaking" -- basically back where we would have been without the study. We have a script for Focalin today, which, as the doctor explained, is a mirror image of the isomer of ritalin, so it has the chance to have less side effects.

Keep your fingers crossed.

BTW -- here's a great overview site on ADHD meds. http://www.addresources.org/article_...mandelkorn.php

Laura

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default GL!!! My dd is on focalin and so far it has been

the best medication for her. it has the least amount of side effects. I hope you find it to be the same for your ds.

What a fascinating study. It's great that you will get a promising new med *and* help science at the same time! Good luck.

Lisa

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

How brave of you. I hope the new meds really help and quickly. That is a very interesting study. Wouldn't it be incredible if they could determine ADHD from a blood test. Do they need the parents blood too to do the test?

let us know how the new drug goes.
    karen

KaylieS Guest

I think it's just to determine the best kind of med if they have adhd dxed...

Could be wrong but I think that's what she meant. Which would still be a HUGE advantage!

K

justLaura is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Yes, it's a test that will help identify a genetic link to which drugs work best for kids with ADHD.

Here's a writeup on the study -- it's being done in both Chicago and NYC.

University of Illinois at Chicago researchers are comparing two drugs commonly used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to determine if genetic factors predict which children will respond to either or both drugs.
    Many different medications are used to treat ADHD, including stimulants and non-stimulants, says Dr. Mark Stein, principal investigator of the National Institute of Mental Health-funded study and director of the Hyperactivity, Attention, and Learning Problems Clinic at UIC.

"Unfortunately, clinicians are unable to predict in advance who will respond or not respond to a particular medication," Stein said.

The study will be conducted in Chicago and New York. Stein and colleagues will enroll 160 children and adolescents between ages 7 and 17 in Chicago. Dr. Jeffrey Newcorn of Mt. Sinai School of Medicine heads the New York site.

Participants will undergo psychiatric evaluations, IQ and achievement tests, a blood test, an electrocardiogram and a physical exam. They will then receive several doses of atomoxetine (a non-stimulant medication), melthylphenidate (a stimulant medication), and a placebo, during a carefully monitored blinded dosing sequence to determine their optimal response to each medication.

During the 12 to 15-week study, researchers will assess the children's ADHD symptoms, social functioning, problem-solving skills and sleep patterns to determine the efficacy and tolerability of each medication.

Previous research conducted by Stein and colleagues found that children with a variant form of a dopamine transporter gene -- a variant known to be associated with ADHD -- responded poorly to stimulant medication and had more side effects at lower doses. The new study will test whether patients with this genetic marker respond better to non-stimulant medication.

"At the end of the study we hope to be able to look at a child's biological characteristics to statistically predict who is more likely to respond to a certain medication and to determine who is more likely not to respond or to have a particular side effect," Stein said.

"The study provides an idealized standard of care in that the children will be carefully evaluated during their treatment with two different medications, with frequent monitoring that typically does not occur during the normal course of ADHD treatment," said Stein.

At the end of the trial, participants will be referred back to their primary care provider or given a referral for ongoing treatment with information learned from the study.

Default This sounds so interesting

I'm not personally dealing with ADD/ADHD but my sister does. It's on her dh's side of the family. She has a dd with it. How cool will that be to say your child helped make someone else's life better by participating and hopefully her own.

AllyOops is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Laura -

Hey - just wondering if you have any updates. I finally, finally (after waiting far too long) made DS's first appointment to be evaluated for ADHD. I am now catching up on my reading here. Have you noticed a difference with B on Focalin?

Ally