Thread: Questions about Occupational Therapy terminology

Default Questions about Occupational Therapy terminology

Hello, I am a lurker here. I have a question about some occupational therapy terminology that that was on a evaluation report for my son. I did ask the OT directly, and her answers was not clear to me. Hopefully someone can explain to me in plain language What exact is meant by:
    Regulation skills
    Low Tone
    Poor registration

Some background: I recently paid out of pocket for an occupational therapy evaluation for my son, who is 4 1/2 years old. He is very, very, delayed in fine and gross motor skills. In the past two years, he has worked with 4 occupational therapists (one from regional center, one from our HMO, two from the school district) and has not made much progress. I am hopeful that the new therapist will be able to help my son. She does seem to be working with him on his level to address his goals, which the other therapists didn't seem to do. Also, she has a fantastically well-equipped gym that she uses for our appointments, so my son really enjoys working with her.

He was also very delayed in speech. He did not start talking until he was 3. He had group speech therapy from the age of 2, both with our HMO, and from our school district, but did not make progress. At age 3, in desperation, I hired a private SLP to work with him individually. She tailored her approach to him, and he made great progress. I paid for the sessions with my credit card. I am hoping my son will get a similar boost from the private OT.

Anyway, thanks for any help on understanding the above terms.

Jeannine

mk Guest

Default not much help...

I have seen these terms and kind of understand the first two but having trouble finding words to describe them! Low tone has to do with the muscle tone. I hope someone else can help you on the others!

There are lots of things you can do with him every day. Be sure to ask your OT for advice on that!

Restless is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Honestly, I think you need to speak to the OT again,

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannineinsd
    Hello, I am a lurker here. I have a question about some occupational therapy terminology that that was on a evaluation report for my son. I did ask the OT directly, and her answers was not clear to me. Hopefully someone can explain to me in plain language What exact is meant by:
    Regulation skills
    Low Tone
    Poor registration

Some background: I recently paid out of pocket for an occupational therapy evaluation for my son, who is 4 1/2 years old. He is very, very, delayed in fine and gross motor skills. In the past two years, he has worked with 4 occupational therapists (one from regional center, one from our HMO, two from the school district) and has not made much progress. I am hopeful that the new therapist will be able to help my son. She does seem to be working with him on his level to address his goals, which the other therapists didn't seem to do. Also, she has a fantastically well-equipped gym that she uses for our appointments, so my son really enjoys working with her.

He was also very delayed in speech. He did not start talking until he was 3. He had group speech therapy from the age of 2, both with our HMO, and from our school district, but did not make progress. At age 3, in desperation, I hired a private SLP to work with him individually. She tailored her approach to him, and he made great progress. I paid for the sessions with my credit card. I am hoping my son will get a similar boost from the private OT.

Anyway, thanks for any help on understanding the above terms.

Jeannine

and ask her to give you examples of your DS's behaviors/traits to illustrate what she is using these terms for. That's what I did when I was dealing with all this...it helped to have these things pointed out so I knew what they meant to MY DS.

Also, if you haven't already gotten the book "Late Talker, What To Do If Your Child Isn't Talking" by Dr. Marilyn Agin, Lisa Geng, and Malcolm Nichols....get it ASAP. It is a wonderful resource and handbook on what your child needs, and things you can do every single day to incorporate Speech Therapy and OT in your activities.

I'm also glad to read that you've found a motivating and fun OT to work with your DS...IMNSHO, a great therapist will make a world of difference to your DS and his progress.

Best Wishes.

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I know a couple...
    Low tone means the muscles in that particular area are weak and should be stronger. For example, my ds has low tone in his facial muscles. It means he has trouble pursing his lips like to blow bubbles or give a kiss. He has trouble with chewing and gets tired easily. He doesn't use his tongue well to transfer food from side to side in his mouth. Our OT does lots of games and things with making faces, blowing stuff, chewing on things, etc, to improve the muscle tone.

Regulation refers to the childs ability to regulate their mood and energy level. A child with poor regulation might get really wound up and over excited and then be unable to calm themself down without major help (or tantrums). Or they might have a tantrum and be unable to self soothe in order to calm down.

We are doing private OT and it is helping a lot.
    Ellen

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default can't help with poor registration

but ellen gave good definitions for the other 2. A book that will help is The Out of Sync Child. Those terms are often used in Sensory Processing Disorder and this books will help you to understand it more. Also I agree with Restless that you should have the therapist give you clear examples of each so you have a better idea of what is happening.

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Sync-Child...3145069&sr=8-1

good luck
    karen