Thread: There must be fifty ways to leave your district......

Default There must be fifty ways to leave your district......

There Must Be Fifty Ways to Leave Your District

by Lori Miller Fox

Now that our son has graduated from Junior High, we can finally say farewell to the sometimes problematic school district that has educated him for the past twelve-plus years and begin anew with High School. And while there were several wonderful one-to-ones, PHIs, more than a few teachers, and even a very fair-minded Special Education Director, who provided real leadership and caring, now that we’re finally finished there have been times that I felt like “I wish we could’ve left sooner.” I dedicate this post to all of the struggling families out there still stuck in unhealthy district relationships and offer some creative ways to make a clean break.

So, like the song says (sort of)...“Get on the schoolbus, Gus. Make a transition plan, Stan. Get your appropriate education free, Lee. And just listen to me...”

The first thing you may want to do is just look the team straight in their eyes and argue “we were never really right for each other.”

Or highlight your incompatibility by claiming “we were simply thrown together by a twist of FAPE.”

If they need a reason, you could be honest and offer “there was no augmentative communication between us.”

If they get huffy you can ask them, “why do you care? You’re hardly ever there -- Teacher’s Institute, Inservice, public holidays, maternity leave...”

If they demand more concrete information, you can lay your cards on the table and blurt out “face it, after the first IEP meeting, the trust was gone.”

Or you can mention specifics and tell them, “it’s been over ever since I caught you cheating on my child’s evaluation.”

You can try explaining your side and state, “I feel like you don’t understand a word I’m saying, maybe it’s because you have an unqualified speech therapist.”

Note the irreconcilable differences with the school and declare, “when it comes to educating the children, I have to do everything myself.”

Let them know your frustration and complain “all week long I slave and slave over boring textbooks, relearning subjects I had to learn years ago, and do I get a word of encouragement or acknowledgment? No, all I hear about is what I don’t do.”

If you want to be more neutral and not point out blame, just tell them “the 1, 2, 3, Magic is gone.”

http://specialedlaw.blogs.com/home/2...be-f.html#more

Spot on!

As a teacher who is actually on maternity leave AND cares deeply about her students' progress, this one really makes me sad. I cant believe it could be looked at in such a way.

"If they get huffy you can ask them, “why do you care? You’re hardly ever there -- Teacher’s Institute, Inservice, public holidays, maternity leave...”

I don't think it is directed at the teacher here, more so at Administration. I know a case in my own District where a teacher in a developmental classroom was slotted to go out on maternity leave and they did not replace her (or even look to replace her) until she had already left. The children in her class all being on the Spectrum, that being the type of transition that would affect most of the students in the class on a detrimental level.

The list is meant for humor purposes for the battle weary parent who has to go to obscene levels of advocacy to secure the very basic of services for their children.

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator