Thread: Spoke too soon about baseball!

zoeyz is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Spoke too soon about baseball!

I always do this, things look good for a while and all seems well. Then not so much.

Last night, I didn't go to DS's baseball practice. DH said he didn't do well at all, kept getting reprimanded by the coach, and wasn't trying very hard. On one hand, he is responsible for himself. On the other hand, I let him get worn out during the day, gave him too many transitions during the day, and then I didn't go to the practice at the last minute (I promised him that I'd go to all of them after having to miss a few last month, but I forgot about the promise). So I feel responsible too.

Then DH didn't do a "bag check" before they left, and as a result, DS's catcher's mitt is lost. He forgot his water bottle the night before. Does anyone else's kid need this much "management"? Mine is 9! Ay yi yi.

Hi Zoey, Don't beat yourself up about the ways in which you may/may not have contributed to a bad practice session! I know what you mean, I always have those "doh!" moments when I realize how I contributed to Evan's having a bad day (like, how after all these years do I still forget to make sure he eats a snack mid-morning?!), but you know what, it's just one day/practice/whatever!

You still know that ds is capable of having great days at practice. There are things that will make it easier for him, and you can help make sure those are in place next time.

About needing management -- my ds is almost 5, so maybe the comparison doesn't help much, but he sure *does* need that much management, and probably more!

Hugs.

Lisa

zoeyz is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Thanks Lisa. That's exactly what it is, I contributed to the problem. I feel like I should know better by now, but I'm human too so I'll have to cut myself some slack. It just gets worse too. Yesterday, his glove was gone at game time. It was lost during the entire game (he had to borrow one). And today, DH was playing catch with him and hit him in the nose with a baseball. Omg, he looks just awful (and I wasn't home when it happened so I didn't even see the bleeding). His face is totally distorted from being swollen. I don't know whether to take him to the ER or not. He seems happy now. And he has 2 games today. It's always something isn't it? Ugh. Anyway thank you for understanding. It doesn't really matter what age they are, the core issues seem to be the same whether they are 5 or 9. Thanks and take care,

Default I agree...

with the other post. Don't beat youself up. You are human, afterall.
    As far as management, I used to teach 6th grade. (Now teach first) I had several kids each year in my 6th grade class who needed to be taught organization, etc. Once I simplified the system for them, it usually got a little easier for them, but I was helping them long all year. Some kids are just like that, as you know. Just keep helping him along, maybe something will click one of these days. I found when it was something my student was really in to (like this one student did a super awesome Country Report) they tend to "take ownership" and take care of it better. Does that make sense? Does he do checkliasts, etc of things to do for certain tasks? That may help. Anyway, hang in there with baseball...

Kathie

Quote Originally Posted by zoeyz
    I always do this, things look good for a while and all seems well. Then not so much.

Last night, I didn't go to DS's baseball practice. DH said he didn't do well at all, kept getting reprimanded by the coach, and wasn't trying very hard. On one hand, he is responsible for himself. On the other hand, I let him get worn out during the day, gave him too many transitions during the day, and then I didn't go to the practice at the last minute (I promised him that I'd go to all of them after having to miss a few last month, but I forgot about the promise). So I feel responsible too.

Then DH didn't do a "bag check" before they left, and as a result, DS's catcher's mitt is lost. He forgot his water bottle the night before. Does anyone else's kid need this much "management"? Mine is 9! Ay yi yi.

AllyOops is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by zoeyz
    That's exactly what it is, I contributed to the problem. I feel like I should know better by now, but I'm human too so I'll have to cut myself some slack.
    As the book I recently read says, it gets exhausting acting as your child's brain all these years. You can't think of everything, so go easy on yourself.

Ouch - I hope his nose heals quickly.

I am thinking of getting DS into tennis. I think he needs the constant running around and would really do well with an individual sport (he loves soccer too). Baseball was hard for him with all the standing around - I felt like I was somewhat setting him up for failure, you know?

Take care,
    Ally

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I'm sorry he had an off day! Even the best of us have our rough ones! I gotta say,

he sounds like quite a trooper to be going on after a good slug in the nose! Ouch! Hope he's alright!

Hugs to you! N

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Hugs!

I do this too and it's so hard not to blame yourself. You're doing a great job though so try to be easy on yourself (I know, it's hard!). I hope the next practice goes better.