Thread: So I got the 'have you considered a full ed. evaluation' speech today...

Default So I got the 'have you considered a full ed. evaluation' speech today...

I've known in my heart for years that dd is dyslexic and has attention issues, just hoped that enough early remediation could mitigate them. Could someone please repost some of my words about how helpful evals can be and how ADHD meds really can work near miracles? Bless dd's tutor's heart, I think she wasn't sure what kind of reception she'd get. I've known it was time to start looking for more ways to help for weeks and was just putting off the talk with DH (which was much easier the second time around).

I am just sick that this reading (and math) is so hard for her with the burden she already has with diabetes. I wonder how much of it is the LD genes we seem to have bestowed on our kids and how much it has been exascerbated by the ricocheting blood sugars and frying blood vessels. I'm not sure it matters, we just have to try and help her.

So cut and paste, meds can be your friend, knowledge is power!

sad r

zoeyz is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Hugs! I'm so sorry she has more on her plate. I haven't started DS on meds yet, but I have heard the same as you that they can make such a positive difference. She is lucky to have parents who care and love her so much. That makes such an impact for a child with challenges. How old is she?

She is 6.5 which is very young to me. Her 11yo brother is one of the med success stories so I know how well they can work. I also remember the process of getting there and the wretched side effects and not knowing how/when/if something will work. I think we are at the point where it is almost cruel to let her continue to struggle and get frustrated without trying meds to see if they help. Her twin is reading about 3 grades ahead of her which I think makes it even harder on her.

zoeyz is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by readyalready
    She is 6.5 which is very young to me. Her 11yo brother is one of the med success stories so I know how well they can work. I also remember the process of getting there and the wretched side effects and not knowing how/when/if something will work. I think we are at the point where it is almost cruel to let her continue to struggle and get frustrated without trying meds to see if they help. Her twin is reading about 3 grades ahead of her which I think makes it even harder on her.
    6.5 is the age when my older DS started reading. I've wondered if he is dyslexic too. That must be so hard having a twin without the same issues. I have thought about that with mine, as my kids are at about the same reading level and they are 3 years apart (younger one is almost 6, older is 9). Let us know how it goes. With my older son, he seemed to have a breakthrough at 6.5, and then again at 7.5. Best of luck with whatever path you pursue for her. And let us know how it's going, if you get a chance. Hugs,

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

In similar situation in regards to trying medications for my almost 8 year old. I am seeking a NEw full evlautation though firt-it has beena while.
    Anyway, in regards to your dd it is a tough call. I wishyou the best in deciding. hugs

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default You already know my answer!

If there is any question, I'd not hesitate to have a full ed eval done. It never hurts to know exactly what you are dealing with. Early intervention is the key. My dd was dx at age 6 1/2 and after 4 years of intensive language programs and therapies, she's testing 2-3 year grade levels ahead in language and math. Also, if she needs the meds, she needs them. That is a harder decision than the evaluation.

We got lucky and got in quickly and are getting the WISC results this afternoon, which will hopefully indicate what further testing we may want to do. I'm already sick to my stomach, and I've got 3 hours to go...