Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: its amazing the difference a great school can make

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default its amazing the difference a great school can make

hi all,

we started school this week and after much debate put ds in a small private school. the final decision came after a bullying incident by our neighbors kids. they dont see it as a big deal and i mentioned if the same thing occurred on the school bus their kids would be suspended under the zero tolerance on bullying.

that got their attention...but dh and i realized we are sick of dealing with such ignorance and intolerance of our sons struggles. we are tired of fighting at ieps for stuff that should be 2nd nature. we have fought for 11yrs at my dss' ieps and now 2yrs for ds (plus his EI years).

its only day 2, but WOW is all i can say. we made the right decision and ds is thanking me everyday after school for changing to his new school. they even go swimming for recess!!! no meltdowns, no homework battles, no 5 pages of homework for a kid who dispises handwriting, just 1 math sheet and 15 min of reading. its heaven i tell you!! im loving it... now to just get used to having to drive him in the AM...instead of the short bus coming to our driveway, lol.

hugs :0

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

That is so wonderful. I am really happy for him. Is the school designed to help special needs kids? Or are they just small enough that they can make accommodations for each child?

Congrats.
    karen

Wow LM, good for you, for taking the plunge! Sounds like McKevor will be in heaven. The idea of never having to fight . . . being surrounded by people who understand . . . I am in awe. What a great choice! I bet that you will be *happily* making the drive when thinking about how much better everything else is!

Great to hear from you.

Lisa

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default So glad to hear this...

I agree, the right school + the right teacher makes a difference in a child's life. I am so glad you found a great match.

Christine S Guest

Yep, that's the reason I make the drive for my kiddos. The school's overall attitude makes such a difference. I'm so glad you found the right place for McK. I hope this continues to go as well as the first 2 days.

C

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Yes, it is incredible. I wish my dd's old school was close enough to drive because it too was a perfect fit.

Default Question...

Is it a school for kids with special needs?
    So far, our public school is great....but who knows what will happen in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey2
    hi all,

we started school this week and after much debate put ds in a small private school. the final decision came after a bullying incident by our neighbors kids. they dont see it as a big deal and i mentioned if the same thing occurred on the school bus their kids would be suspended under the zero tolerance on bullying.

that got their attention...but dh and i realized we are sick of dealing with such ignorance and intolerance of our sons struggles. we are tired of fighting at ieps for stuff that should be 2nd nature. we have fought for 11yrs at my dss' ieps and now 2yrs for ds (plus his EI years).

its only day 2, but WOW is all i can say. we made the right decision and ds is thanking me everyday after school for changing to his new school. they even go swimming for recess!!! no meltdowns, no homework battles, no 5 pages of homework for a kid who dispises handwriting, just 1 math sheet and 15 min of reading. its heaven i tell you!! im loving it... now to just get used to having to drive him in the AM...instead of the short bus coming to our driveway, lol.

hugs :0

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

yay!! That is GREAT news!

I am happy for you guys!!!!! yipeeee!!

-angi

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

wow how cool!

Do you get any services from the private school?

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Yahoo!

Isn't it wonderful when hard decisions like that turn out even better than you thought!? Way to go!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast