Thread: Looking for others with CAPD

Default Looking for others with CAPD

(Central Auditory Processing Disorder ) - I am so thankful we seem to be on the right track with 6 yr old ds in that we finally figured out he has this. We are doing therapeutic listening - just started two weeks ago. About to start first grade and I, of course, have many concerns. I'm looking for other parents of children with auditory processing problems and I learn. Any insight appreciated. My inciid email works if anyone wants to contact me that way. Thank you!

Default DS w/ APD...

My DS was dx with APD (they have dropped the C) when he was in K, and then VPD (visual processing disorder) in 1st grade. We have done (and continue to do) lots of therapy and tutoring to help him. His biggest struggle is a slow processing speed, which is fustrating in the school and home environments.

My DS does not have an IEP or 504 plan but I am hopeful his new 3rd grade teacher will make some accomidations to help him be sucessful in the classroom.

Here is a link to a post from months ago with info about APD...
    http://www.inciid.org/forum/showthre...&highlight=apd

If you have any questions, please feel free to drop me an email.

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I think our dd has this

but she is 3....so all we know is that she is extremely bothered by noise, and also very slow to process things.

I am interested in learning more.

we did have her doing theraputic listening until we found our insurance will not cove r it. So, we have ONE disc that we bring out - from time to time. It seems to help her- that and earplugs!

-Angi

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

capd can be hard to dx at younger ages. it has to do with the test needed to dx it. the child has to have reading comprehension and processing to adminster the test. thats often why few will do the test on a child younger than 7.

my dss has capd and it manifests itself in his lack of excutive functioning skills aka excutive function disorder. thanks that help are visual cues, hand cues, lists, sometimes with icons as a quick reminder, listening tx helped but he was already 14 when dxd and thought the program was dorky (i lost that battle).

other things are things that help to organize ones thoughts, ie classical music as an example. there are many theories about capd and what is best. the bottom line is, some work for some kids and some dont...its often a trial and error. hugs

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default My dd attended a school where they did

auditory training every day. It was really boring for her and she complained about it often. I do think that it really helped her. It had them listen for the difference in a series of 2 or 3 words, like, tell me which one has a different middle sound: lake, bake, wreck. They were drilled like that for about 30 minutes every day. I do think she still has a slower processing speed than normal, but she doesn't make nearly the errors in testing that she used to do.

I'd try whatever type of therapy you can find in your area. I'd not be satisfied for the school district to just give him an amplifier (or whatever you call it). I'd ask for accomodations in the class, like preferred up front seating, written instructions, written assignments, etc. I do think that they can make important progress with the therapy.

Default Thanks everyone!

We are new to sensory therapies and new to this school so it's a big time of change for us. I appreciate all of your insight so much.