Thread: *Barge... question on busing

Question *Barge... bus question

I apologize to barge here (admiting whole heartedly that I do not follow this board on a regular basis..)

I would appreciate any thoughts on my DS current busing situation. He is 4 (ASD) He is an escape artist, but we have worked with him and have done fairly well. He had one problem last year towards the end of the year were he managed to get out of his seat. That was the ONLY problem they have had with him. BUT they said that now he has to be harnessed in order to ride the bus. We took the summer off the bus for ESY and just started back to school with the vest harness. I'm just not crazy about the harness... and it doesn't even seem to restrain as well as a simple 5 point booster. I'm still wondering why that wouldn't just work--maybe something about cooperation of getting into the 5 point on the bus?? Not sure.

Any suggestions for getting him acclimated to the harness or any other possible solutions to offer the bus. Thanks!

-joy
    Last edited by JoyAnne; 09-11-2007 at 08:22 AM.

mk Guest

Default No specific advice...

but I'm having trouble picturing what a "harness" is. I am surprised that require it after just one incident. But the flip side is, they're very safety conscious, where I have seen busses where the kids (K and older) arent' even checked to see if they are buckled in. Why are you not crazy about it? Do you think he feels odd in it, not like the others? Is he on a SN bus or regular? I guess, figure out what you want the solution to be, then just bring it up to them, while remaining flexible. Hopefully others will have advice too.

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I don't know much about busing (I have to drive my kids) but can you argue for a different form of transportation? I know here they use private contractors that drive station wagons with carseats.

Otherwise I would make the arguement for using his regular carseat on the bus.

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

hum not sure. Is there a way for the bus assistant to sit with him? I would also call and ask about alternative forms of transport - can't hurt to ask.

What does the harness look like.

They told me that if ds didn't sit in his seat he would have to wear a seatbeat but so far he thinks riding the bus is just so cool that he is good for the driver and aide.

hugs
    karen

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

my son were the Star harness on his sped bus. we didnt have compliancy issues about his seatbelt on the bus. but a few kids did. they had a Behavior intervention person (mostly like an ABA therapust or the like) work with them 1:1 on the bus daily until they tolerated the harness without fits. it was written into their IEPS as goals.

you also have the option to supply your own carseat for the sped bus (few realize this). we did this at first to get him used to the bus, them moved to the star at age 5. hope this helps

thanks for the responses... the harness is a rupert vest. It zips up the back and has rings to allow for fastening directly to the seat. I'm not crazy about it because.. I guess I would really like my son to learn to stay in a seat on his own--I think he is very capable of this. Also.. he has been very agitated by it so far. I can barely get it on him and he is screaming and kicking trying his most to get out of it even as the bus pulls away. He is not willing going on the bus.. seems like the focus should be on working with him, not just getting him to school. He has been so angry and regressing since school started back up. I'm not sure what the trigger is. or if it just the change again. Hoping it is short lived. This is just not my kiddo.

When he got out of his seat the driver was not able to control him and had to call for assistance to get him back in his seat and to school. I know they need to keep him safe, but I would love to see more being done. Just not sure about the best approach. I would love to see an aide on his bus.. at least temporarily. I know the have safety in mind.. and at least that is a good thing.

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Have you talked to the school/teachers about this? seems like an aide should be on the bus to support him.

Here all buses have aides.
    karen