Thread: "I Don't like people!?" Anyone else have an Animal instead of a kid!? :)

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default "I Don't like people!?" Anyone else have an Animal instead of a kid!? :)

Hi,
    DD is asd, SPD, anxiety, etc...just turned 4

Lately she says often, "I don't like people!!" When we point out that mommy and daddy are people, and that she is a person she says things like "NO, we are ponies!!" (huge my little pony fan!)

As a matter of fact, she is often someone else....a pony, a lion, a puppy, a kitty, etc..... When i say she is someone else, I mean she walks or crawls like the animal she is pretending to be, talks like the animal would sound if the animal could talk, and pretty much 'becomes' the animal....etc....

Lately, she has been pretending to be a human baby - because she got to meet and hold her newly born cousin recently. At least she is being a human now! She will crawl in our laps and lay down and make little baby cries and if we ask her questions she talks in a baby voice. She stays in character for 5-10 minutes at a time with the baby thing.

Is this "typical" or part of one of the disorders?? Or, do we have a future character actress here?

She LOVES animals, and says often that she likes animals and not people. when I ask why she will never really answer. I am sure it is her SPD with other kids/people.

just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

-Angi

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I would say that that is more typical than different. My dd spent quite a while as a preschooler trying out becoming different things. She loves animals, so she was always crawling around as a dog, prancing as a pony, etc. I've seen my nieces and nephews do the same thing at a similar age. Ds hasn't started that yet, but he's only just 3, so I expect he will soon! Enjoy it, it's fun to see your child's creativity!!
    Ellen

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Sounds like all of my 3 kids. They are always pretending to be other things. I do find that Jacob will immerse himself fully into whatever he decides to be.

I think its fine.
    karen
    Mom of 4, 4 and 3 year old kids

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Yes, my younger ds almost 3. He is pretty non verbal, but is a dog, cat, horse, sometimes for long periods of time.

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Yes, this sounds familiar

Sierra pretended that she was a dog or a baby for hours and hours on end. When she was a dog, she would eat and drink out of a bowl, want to wear a leash and have me pet her tummy, throw a bone, everything. She was a baby for the longest time too and really look like a baby. It was amazing what she would observe and then recreate at home. I think she does have actress tendencies too.

Fun, strange, interesting!

Susan

Gosh, to me that sounds beautifully delightfully typical! I think it's amazing that she can do that kind of sustained and detailed role play. It's hard for kids with ASDs to put themselves in the position of another being and understand how they are different. Enjoy it, I think it's thrilling!

Lisa

Love2bmom Guest

Our daughter loves to be a puppy. Or a kitty. And I have found that some of the kids in preschool with her last year were the same way.

anniemc2000 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default My dd was like this

She has always loved, loved animals. She would not play with baby dolls, only stuffed animals. She has a very strong sensitivity for animals, always has and probably always will. The first thing she does each morning is to greet her pet hamster. Now that she's 6, she finally has carried that empathy and caring over to people as well, but she's always been more inhibited by people than by animals.
    Ann