Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A question for Moms with LD kids in school

This has been my experience as well. Schools are NOT in the business of diagnosing disorders. I feel like it reflects negatively on the school if they have a lot of IEPs or 504s. They don't have the resources to diagnose and treat these disorders. I'd get both done as well. The more you know the better off you will be.

When my dd was turned down for services with an IEP. The team pointed out my dd's high IQ. Then I said but that still doesn't explain why in 4th grade she still can't write a sentence with numerous spelling errors. If she is so smart why is she getting Ds and Fs in spelling? Why can't she read for a sustained amount of time? Why does she say she can't walk down the hall without feeling like she's going to run into it? They couldn't answer that. I'm so thankful we had a private evaluation done. When something was found the school did agree to give her a 504 plan. I'm just thinking that next year we will have to fight for her to keep it. I'm NOT looking forward to that.

FWIW I have a neighbor whose ds has a cochlear implant. The district SpEd director said after he completed Kindergarten that he didn't need an IEP anymore. I couldn't believe it. She said she would fight for him to have that IEP if she had to die doing it. Obviously her son is doing well but being deaf is something that isn't corrected with this wonderful device. He still needs services. This is some of the issues that they have had to deal with. I can only imagine how many parents have to deal with it everyday. It's awful but that is the way it is.

Paula

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

we sometimes let the school do testing but i always know ahead of time which tests which be administered before agreeing. in our county, its not uncommon for a test that shows mental retardation to be used to determine if IEP placement for a child that has adhd. thus, the child is denied an iep based on a test that wasnt the right one to administer for that child.

so we also always have a full private assessment done. lucky for us, our insurance has covered them so far over the past 8yrs. the private ones are always soo much more precise and detailed about our kids issues.

that said, other districts may not have the same "ways" that mine does. hugs

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

My friend is a school psy. and she reviewed the IEP for me. It was very helpful.

karen

ybab is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default We got a private eval...

Of course, this was done before my DS was in school, but I'm glad we did it. It was paid by insurance and done through a respected local hospital. I believe at some point, the school needs to do their own, and we agreed that the school could do their own testing at the beginning of this year. But I'm glad we have the private one in our back pocket. No way would I just rely on what the school system came up with.

The IEP process is not always a big fight, and I can tell you that our case was immeasurably strengthened by having that eval in hand. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2