Thread: speech therapy in schools....m

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default speech therapy in schools....m

I was told today that the school sytem does not often provide more than 2x a week SLP services. Is that true for your school system?

thanks

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Yes. Ellie has the max at 2x per week. She goes for 30 minutes, but I'm not sure if the time periods will increase or not.

thanks. I know my older ds recived 3x a week when he was in speical needs pr-k, and he was even talking. Now there is Holt who is not talking per se. I have asked Pedi for a ST recemondation, have called all the providers within 1 hour of our city that are listed on Early Intervention MAtrix. No one returns calls or knows who can offer speech therapy self pay. I am asking everyone, maybe I should take out a billboardThe current SLP might accept self-pay but I would rather not drive 45 minutes 1 way.

SueW is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Keagan attended 3x week

Keagan had ST in school and it was very good - he went in with one other little boy and they had ST 3X/wk for 25 minutes per session. It really helped him and that therapist was better than the private one we saw in summer - Sue

BriNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Hi Wendy,
    I lurk around a bit and am sorry that Holt still isnt getting the help he needs.

One thought, have you called any local universities? If they have a speech therapy program (Master's level) they may run some type of clinic. Even if they dont run any type of clinic, contact the person in charge who might have some suggestions on how to find a speech therapist.

Hugs
    Bri

Ihostmom2mitchandnick Guest

Default Hey Wendy

The teacher helping me comes in for coffee every day.....I will pull her aside in the morning and ask her how they determine. I am sure each state is different, but there must be some kind of normal protocol.
    Hugs to You!
    Mary Ann And Nicholas

anniemc2000 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default We have a 6 day cycle here

But Y gets speech 3 days out of 6. I don't think the 3 out of 6 is all that unusual here, though some in her class are getting 1 or 2 out of 6 days.
    Will Holt be in the SN preschool program? Y's integrated classroom itself is also based on language development, so even when Y isn't getting direct speech therapy her teacher is fostering what the SLP has been working on with her. Her SLP feels that children learn to use language with and from their peers in a very different way than from one-to-one therapy.
    Good luck Wendy, I know you've worked really hard to get this in place for Holt.
    Ann

I think the offerings for speech differ widely - by district and by student. They offered my boys special ed preschool only, which was like 10 minutes per week with the therapist, in a classroom setting (it was supposed to be more, but that's what it ended up being - it seemed like most of the time, when I picked them up, one of the aides would mention that the speech therapist wasn't there - wasn't her day to be there or something). After a few weeks of that, I chose regular preschool and private therapy instead. Costly, but for my ds I think it's necessary.

I'll probably have him re-evaluated next year when they start K, since there's a therapist that visits the school. I kind of expect the district to offer group speech therapy, and if they do, I'll probably still stick with private. With his sensory issues, anything else isn't worth the effort, or so it seems.
    -beth

Thanks for your replies. I am having Holt revaluated on october 18th for SDD. If he qualifies for the SN pre-k than he will be with teachers who can help facialiate speech. He does attend a regular MMO program and also did last year. I find it hard to believe that if he the therapists were not able to complete the speech testing due to lack of words, that 2x a week is sufficient.

Thanks