Thread: Psychosis in children?

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Psychosis in children?

Anyone know anything about psychosis or schizophrenia in young children? I am working with a child who has these dx and would really appreciate any advice on how to help him.

Thanks!!!!!!
    Ellen

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I wish I knew. I am curious about it because of some possible? or maybe not?? symtoms of bi-polar in my dd.

How old is this child if I may ask?

I was told officially that any dx with a "mental" illness would have to wait til 7 yrs old I think.

Anyway, i hope to read some good info on here about this...

-angi

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I am by no means an expert however in my office, we've seen a few with some extreme psychotic behaviors. If you can, get a psychiatrist involved asap. Our psychologist on staff would refer them right away to a psychiatrist and usually for inpatient treatment.

Schizophrenia tends to manifest itself at a later age (late teens) I believe. I seem to remember reading this - I have a family member that this effects. But I could be wrong.

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Thanks for the input. The child was apparently diagnosed at about age 6-7 (not sure since we don't have his complete records yet). He had imaginary friends that he truely believed were real, and was unable to understand the differences between his reality and fantasy worlds (this is what the mom has told us). He has been on meds since then, and seems to be pretty well maintained. He's overall a friendly, happy kid. Very VERY low energy (this might be from the meds?). He has large academic deficits (3+ years below grade level), and is most likely developmentally delayed overall (again, some of this may be med related).

My concern is that I'm NOT a trained special ed teacher, nor am I a psychologist. I don't know what to look for with him to know if he's doing ok or not. I don't know how to help him make academic progress with all his other issues. Also, given the family history, he'll most likely move before we get a chance to get a support system in place for him.

So anything anyone knows about children with psychosis and/or schizophrenia would be very helpful!
    Ellen