Thread: boardmaker for the home

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default boardmaker for the home

does anyone have this at home? i'm thinking of getting it. i have to find out from the school system what price I can get it at. Its at this website for $150 which is a lot but I know its an amazing program. when I make charts with pictures I have trouble finding pictures that really show what I'm getting out.

Please share your charts here. I need ideas.
    karen

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I have not seen this

what do you do? I am horrible at keeping up with the charts. I would like to have something the kids are excited about to help keep the momentum going .

s

It helps more with very specific pictures than for charts. you have to make the charts to go with what you need.

The teacher uses it in her class all the time. She makes things like visual schedules, picture commands, and illustrating directions. This past week she sent home cooking instructions to make apple sauce with the picture cards that would go with it.

I am really torn about this because my kids all have excellent language skills and its often used for kids with language difficulties. But on the other hand the visual reminders can be very helpful for kids who have trouble attending and also for kids who respond better to visual cues than auditory cues.

I guess I'll have to see how much it is. I figure I'll be able to use it in my classroom when I go back to teaching.

karen

Susan - here are some examples of boardmaker pictures

also there was a trial offer on the main website. I'm downloading it now. I'll let you know.
    karen

http://www.mayer-johnson.com/

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

thanks - i placed a bid. its not much over the current price so I might not get it but its the sign language version.

i appreciate it. I downloaded the trail version of the regular boardmaker last night. its a little confusing but interesting.

I found this way to type in sentences and it illustrates it for you.

"put on your shoes and coat."

it had a picture of something being put on a table with an arrow
    on was a picture of a ball on a line
    shoes and coat were nice clear pictures
    and was an &

I have to play with it more. Its 30 day trial. maybe i can do what i need in the next 30 days and won't need to buy it.

k

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

interesting-let us know if you win the bid and get one

Laura H1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I think my language skills are excellent, BUT

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlc
    It helps more with very specific pictures than for charts. you have to make the charts to go with what you need.

The teacher uses it in her class all the time. She makes things like visual schedules, picture commands, and illustrating directions. This past week she sent home cooking instructions to make apple sauce with the picture cards that would go with it.

I am really torn about this because my kids all have excellent language skills and its often used for kids with language difficulties. But on the other hand the visual reminders can be very helpful for kids who have trouble attending and also for kids who respond better to visual cues than auditory cues.

I guess I'll have to see how much it is. I figure I'll be able to use it in my classroom when I go back to teaching.

karen

Susan - here are some examples of boardmaker pictures

I learn SO much better with visual cues... so nice when I was able to read... i struggled in "lecture-type" classes all my schooling years... did great and excelled when teachers wrote on the board or over-head projectors... do fantastic learning languages on the reading and writing part, but listening to someone else speak it, sounds like "gobbledy-gook" to me...

I suspect I have auditory processing issues...

so, it really does sound like it could help... thanks for bringing up the product, I'm interested in it now for the kiddos...

Laura