Thread: been a while but here I am again...

paddylou is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default been a while but here I am again...

My Oldest has sid and is doing very well with uniforms and counseling..so there I am happy. My middle guy just started Kindergarten at age 6 and is struggeling. i think he is dyslexic but have no idea what to do. Socially fine, verbally fine, motor skills great...However... He does not know his letters well at all..upper or lower. He mixes up A and J because the sound the same ( he says) and they are the first two letters of his name (Jack) the letters dont sound the same but the name of them does (AAA JAAAA) see?? He also when tested to see if he recognized the numbers 1-10 could not recognize 6 and 9 ( also common cause the look the same if you flip them around) He took forever to learn his colors and still mixes them up sometimes...but was teted and is not color blind. Any ideas> I feel so bad..and he is hating school because he is struggeling. Jack was a 38 weeker who ended up on a vent for two weeks at birth because he could not breathe..the first two days we did not know if he would live or die... I often wonder if this deprivation at birth has caused some of his problems or if he is just dyslexic. What do you guys think I should do? Help now is critical I think.. just not sure where to go or what to do?

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I would talk to his teacher. At least have her watching him for signs but it does sound possible. You can also request a SpEd eval.

karen

I thought I posted here but my post is gone... so I'll try again.

I agree, talk to the teacher to see if she has any thoughts (she might, she might not). If you think vision might be a concern, by all means have it checked out. 20/20 and all standard stuff of course, and then check for things that can be treated with vision therapy (dyslexia is one of these types of things, but there are others, and in any event you can't know what the problem is until there's been an evaluation). Here are some links:

http://www.covd.org/ (tells where to find the type of optometrist who also does vision therapy; also see the links about vision and learning, etc.)

http://www.visiontherapystories.org/

http://optometrists.org/hellerstein/vision_therapy.html

As an example, my dd has problems with eye tracking - problems with her eyes working together. They don't always focus on the same letter at the same time, which obviously can impact reading.

As for letters "sounding" the same, I'd also consider looking into auditory processing as a potential problem - maybe he's not catching the j- in J?

hope this helps--
    beth

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Wow your dd's issues sound similar to mine. I have trouble tracking or at least did. I had to use a paper or an index card to block the rest of the page as I read. I read very slowly. About 9 years ago I did vision therapy to help my eyes work together properly and that problem is much improved. For me my eyes didn't always work together and it would cause my vision to blur away.

karen

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Hi Patty

I wanted to post and say Hello to you. It's good to see you here. I don't have any good advice for you. I am sorry that Jack is struggling. I know you worry about his entrance into the world and what that might have done. Are you getting any type of formal evaluation done?

I am very glad that Sarah is doing so well! How are YOU??

Susan

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

So sorry you are dealing with another child. I hav eno experience, but you have gotten some good suggestions. Hugs, and let us know what happens with Jack