Thread: Cry with me ladies (insurance)

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Cry with me ladies (insurance)

Our final appeals were denied for private OT, and ST. The same old spiel about them not covering anything that the school system should provide.

I didn't have much hope, but it sure would have been nice - our out of pocket medical this year are already over $10,000 and will probably be closer to 15K.

On the upside, I have a totally different kid then when we started this last October, OT has saved her, I think. It's hard to write that check every week until I realize that I can now hold her hand and stroke her hair and give her a kiss and she welcomes it!

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

It is painful to spend that money. In my experience, it has been worth every single penny! I'm sorry your appeals were denied.

Ohhh how frustrating! The one saving grace is that the therapy *has* worked wonders for Ellie, but in a way that makes it all the more galling that they won't pay for something that's doing so much good...

Big hugs!
    -- Joanne

anniemc2000 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Oh my goodness

I am so sorry about the finances- that's just not right. It is wonderful, though, that you are seeing such improvements.
    Ann

emilyb00 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Have you looked into Katie Beckett/Medicaid?

We had similar medical expenses until we moved to Idaho where my son qualifies for Medicaid. They pick up all the copays that insurance doesn't cover. They won't help with his growth hormone, but otherwise, we are so thankful to have the assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by emilyb00
    We had similar medical expenses until we moved to Idaho where my son qualifies for Medicaid. They pick up all the copays that insurance doesn't cover. They won't help with his growth hormone, but otherwise, we are so thankful to have the assistance.

No. I figured we wouldn't qualify due to income. We are blessed that dh makes a good income, so we can't qualify for any grants etc (rightly so).

I'll look into it!

I'm so sorry. We changed insurance companies this year so my dd could have OT. I have a new child. Our previous insurance company (the one we had in 2006) said the same thing. Think about your dd's future. It is now much brighter than before. You have given her a wonderful gift better than anything you could have given her for her birthday or any holiday for that matter.

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

What about the United Healthcare Grant? Two of us here have applied an were granted $5,000.

I hear you on insurance woes-I deal with it with 2 speical needs kiddos. We have gone into my retirement $20,000 since 2001 Not to mention several grand for my dh as well.

Quote Originally Posted by trek
    What about the United Healthcare Grant? Two of us here have applied an were granted $5,000.

I hear you on insurance woes-I deal with it with 2 speical needs kiddos. We have gone into my retirement $20,000 since 2001 Not to mention several grand for my dh as well.

Yes, I joke that this is Ellie's college fund right now. The hope that this will actually get her to college!

I am lucky to have a very part time job that pays really well and offsets the costs a bit. Still it is a lot of money!

emilyb00 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default It is not income based

It is based on the child's diagnosis.