Thread: Just thinking out loud here....

amelia1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Just thinking out loud here....

Suddenly things are starting to click with me. I for the life of me couldn't figure out why my DD, who is a quiet, polite, sweet kid comes home from preschool a crabby, grouchy girl that I don't like to be around. She goes part time and boy on the days she has been to school, you know it! Is she overstimulated or is it easy to blame such issues on SPD?
    I really need to talk to Pedi about an OT eval I guess.
    Another thought I had last night. She has to have layers of blankets on her when she goes to sleep. Even in the dead of summer, it's 2 and 3 layers of blankets she wants. Can anyone relate to that? Is there an SPD connection there?

It is very normal for a child with SPD (and even for a normal child) to come home from school acting very differently from how they do at school. With the SPD child, they have to work so hard to hold it together at school, and when they finally get home with mom where it's safe, they fall apart - no more energy for all that self control - they used it up at school. Think of it as a compliment to you and your relationship with your dd, LOL - you're safe.

FWIW, this happens with all my kids, both SPD and non-SPD alike - the biggest problem is my oldest, dd, who has SPD. My one ds who does not have SPD also has this problem of losing it when he comes home. His twin brother, who does have SPD, does not have this problem as much - I'm not sure why.

As for the blankets, sure it could be satisfying some sensory need of your dd. Might as well keep it up. Our OT says that kids seek out the sensory experiences they need. I wouldn't say that necessarily means she definitely has SPD, I tend to like heavy blankets myself. At least it's nice to have a sensory need that's so easy to satisfy!!

-beth

Christine S Guest

Yes, could very well be overstimming at school. Definitely worth getting an eval.

The blankets...it's one of the signs there were sensory issues going a couple generations back in my family. I distinctly remember my mom ALWAYS needing either blankets or pillow on her feet when she sleeps. Always. *I* don't sleep well, even in the heat of summer, unless there is SOMETHING on me. BTW...I did get a cotton blanket that is great for weight in the summer, but doesn't make you overly hot.

C

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Hey! Beth beat me to it! : ) And, regarding the blankets..

Uhm..true confessions...I LOVE sleeping with a blanket - even in the summer. And, I hate, hate, hate heat! Yep, I lke the weight on me - a sheet doesn't cut it. I found these great blankets made from sweatshirt material by MV Sport (yep, you have to suffer thru a sports or college logo!), however, they're soft and hefty enough for me! My family always teases me about my blankie! I don't have too many sensory things, but that's my most obvious!

Hugs! N

amelia1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

It's funny because I have to have a blanket to sleep as well, not layers of blankets like her, but a blanket indeed.

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

this was the problem we had with mainstream K last year. he held it all together at school but was ready to explode at anything and everything the minute he crossed our threshold at home. we have him at a new school that addressed his sensory issues big time and it is such a difference!!!!

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Hi,
    i have not had a chance to read the replies but i wanted to say that yes over-stimulation is a huge part of spd- our main component. Also, the blanket thing is a huge spd thing....our OT has had us try weighted blankets on ella. Sometimes she liked them, other times no.

It calms part of their system down. (the weight that is)

Ella is next to me asking for me to light the pumpkins so i will keep this very short!

you are right i think, ot might help you guys out a lot.

Christine S Guest

Can I ask what they did for him?

Tobin's doing well at school, minus the constant chewing on his shirts (that one is REALLY bad but I realize things could be worse). At home he loses it in a big way.

Our OT just held a sensory workshop and we sent T's teacher so hopefully she gained some more insight. But obviously he's still having a great deal of stress.

C

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by Christine S
    Yes, could very well be overstimming at school. Definitely worth getting an eval.

The blankets...it's one of the signs there were sensory issues going a couple generations back in my family. I distinctly remember my mom ALWAYS needing either blankets or pillow on her feet when she sleeps. Always. *I* don't sleep well, even in the heat of summer, unless there is SOMETHING on me. BTW...I did get a cotton blanket that is great for weight in the summer, but doesn't make you overly hot.

C
    Oh this is so me. In fact I have some obvious sensory things like hating sand, never going barefoot etc. It's no wonder Ellie is the way she is!

To the OP - Ellie was like that when we had her in typical preschool. Now that she is in SN pre-K we have so many less issues.

I'll call for a referral to an OT as soon as you can.

This is starting to make sense. I have to sleep with something over me too. Even when it's hot outside I have to have a sheet on me or I don't sleep. I do know I have some sensory issues too. I have a brother with some pretty major SID issues too. Dh's sister has some too. It's no wonder I have a child that has SID. It's been a real eye opener to work with the OT and see myself in many of the issues we deal with. My OT says that nearly everyone has a sensory issue of some sort but when it interferes with daily life then it is a problem.

Get an evaluation done. It can't hurt.

Paula