Thread: How do I fulfill this sensory need

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default How do I fulfill this sensory need

Jacob has a need to carry a stick of some type in his hands whenever he is at home. His teachers (regular and special ed preschools) report that he doesn't do it at school. He will turn almost anything stick like into a weapon when he is doing this. He lashes out when he is annoyed, angry or frustrated. He sometimes hits sometimes just swings it in your face aggressively.

I can't think of an appropriate alternative. Please help.
    karen

Restless is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Not sure what you are asking for...

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlc
    Jacob has a need to carry a stick of some type in his hands whenever he is at home. His teachers (regular and special ed preschools) report that he doesn't do it at school. He will turn almost anything stick like into a weapon when he is doing this. He lashes out when he is annoyed, angry or frustrated. He sometimes hits sometimes just swings it in your face aggressively.

karen
    If he needs something else to hold, how about something made of styrofoam (like a rocket). If he needs a something to lash out at, how about a punching bag?

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I can't think of much to substitute

We have some food grade refrigerator tubing here that I used to make chewy toys with. That would be a good size to grasp and you could cut it short enough that it could not be flipped around too much. If I think of anything else, I will post again.

Susan

Does he use squishy balls or putty? Not the same thing, just brainstorming...

My first thought was foam too -- maybe a pool noodle cut into a short piece?

Of course that's just to make it less likely that he will hurt himself or someone else -- if your concern is more to address the need to lash out, then that may be more complicated. I guess the question may be whether he is lashing out because he is feeling some unmet sensory need, or for some other reason (maybe just needing to feel a little more control after a day of school!).

Lisa

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I think the sensory need is to have something in his hand

He will lash out even when there is nothing in his hands. He will just swing his arms at you. That happens when he is tired most often. I will look into soft stick like shapes that won't hurt people if he decides to hit with them. It will be better than the other things he picks up.

thanks
    karen

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I like the idea of the swimming pool floatie noodle.

My girl gets like this too.

It can be disturbing, especially when it is at Grandma.

Sending hugs...

-Angi

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Or, how about some of those squishy stress relieving toys..

they come in all sorts of characters, etc...

Sometimes they're also marketed as "hand or grip strengtheners."

HTH a little! N

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I hate to say it (because I hate doing it) but whenever Ellie gets into phases like that we have to go back to brushing at night. It really seems to desensitise her to whatever input she is craving at the time.

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlc

karen
    things that come to mind are teaching him to do push ups (but they may not give enough input to the hand-mostly arms and wrist) and getting some of the hand held "hand strengtheners" from a sporting shop. you can usually find them under $10. hope this helps...my guy loves his hand strengthener.