Thread: DS (SID) might have peanut allergy (any experiences?)

Unhappy DS (SID) might have peanut allergy (any experiences?)

We have to make an appt with an allergist but DS broke out in hives the last two days. He eats PB&J every day because he's so fussy and that's his staple for lunch. He's never had a problem with it before but I understand it could happen at any time. He had a mild reaction at lunchtime on Monday, woke up from a nap with full hives on his torso. I gave him Benadryl and it was mostly gone Tues. Then he ate lunch yesterday and broke out on his face and neck with big welts. We went to the pedi and he doesn't want to mess with a potential peanut allergy. He gave me an Rx for an EpiPen which scares the hell out of me because I can't imagine having to be in a position to use it. I'm not afraid of shots but DS is another story. Just the potential of this being life threatening scares the h*ll out of me. Also, do I need to worry about the EpiPen and mercury? I don't know about the whole vaccine controversy with mercury but I think the fact that these kids are overvaccinated plays a role in delays and DS definitely has sensory issues and had a speech delay.

I remember thinking, at least DS isn't allergic to peanuts! Ha! I'm praying it's from a cold/virus he's had over the past week but I somehow doubt it. Too coincidental.

So, onto the allergist for skin pricks and blood tests. Should be fun with a tactile hypersensitive kid!

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Hugs!

I have to go back to work so this will be short but wanted to give you some big hugs. My sister's ds has a peanut allergy and it is scary. But if your ds has it, you will do what you need to and make it a part of your life. I have been glad to see my sister adjust well. I hope it is something else though and that you do not have to deal with this too.

I hope the tests aren't too bad on him or you!!

Susan

I have one peanut allergic ds and have made the house peanut free (to the dismay of older ds) because his blood test numbers have been increasing. My not allergic dd likes sunbutter, made from sunflower seeds, as a substitute. Allergic ds is just not into sandwiches so it isn't an isssue for him. I think the good news is that your ds has ingested it and not had an anaphylactic reaction, so hopefully you will never need the epi pen. I also think that if I'm worried enough about his airway closing to use the pen, any possible mercury in it is going to be much less of a concern than the stopping breathing.

good luck with the tests

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I don't think an epi pen would have

mercury in it because it is a one time dose thing and I think it is only used in vaccines as a preservative, not other drugs. I could be wrong. In any case, if he were having a life threatening reaction, use the epipen and not worry about the mercury in it! I hope for you that the hives are being caused by something else. (((hugs)))

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

How scary. I hope for your sake and his that the hives are from something else (my kids get hives regularly from outside allergens). No advice but just offering my support!