pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default new study on the long term effectivness of

ritalin.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2007/.../uknews.health

\curious of your thoughts on this.
    karen

JulieATL is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default My two cents on the subject matter.....m

My initial response to this is "no duh!!!" Very professional, I know. But by definition, Ritalin as a stimulant is immediate and short-acting. It is a medication that once out of the system is out. It is not a medication that is supposed to build up levels in the bloodstream and have longer-term effects. It simply stimulates the brain to produce more of the neurotransmitters required to sustain attention and decrease activity level. So of course it would have no long-term effects on the symptoms of ADHD, it simply is supposed to create a short-term neurological effect in the body's system that should allow the brain to focus and learn for the time that the drug is in the system. It has long been known that medication alone is the not the solution, but if medication is indicated, that the stimulant, along with behavioral intervention, parent training, modifications in the classroom or instruction, and education in study habits and self-control, all combined will contribute to the long-term goals of improved attention, focus, and decreased impulsivity. Kids often can wean off of stimulants after they have learned enough coping skills to be able to manage without the drugs.

(Just so you know, I'm not currently practicing, but I am a Licensed Professional Counselor, and before I quit to stay at home with my ds, I worked extensively with kids with a range of diagnoses, including ADD/ADHD, some of whom were on meds, some of whom were not.)

This article seems to state the obvious. Stimulant medication can be highly effective in some cases, but is only a part of a comprehensive treatment modality of medication, therapy, and training. Now, the stunting the growth part, that's a whole other issue and seems to me the most significant part of the study. That concerns me. I'd be curious to see if other studies confirm this long-term effect and if it is also true with other meds used to treat ADHD, or just the Ritalin.

Ok, I'll get off my now. Anyone else?

- Julie

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I just re-read the study. I mis-interpreted it the first time. What the study is saying is that the daily temporary effect of Ritalin does work after a long period of time on the drug. It is not saying that ritalin is a temporary drug that works for a short time
    Last edited by pepperlc; 11-12-2007 at 11:59 PM.