Thread: Low Oxalate Diet anyone? (autisim ment)

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Low Oxalate Diet anyone? (autisim ment)

I'm needing some help with the low oxalate diet for Savanna. I imagine it will be hard for me to find anyone else on this diet but I'll never know if I don't ask!

I am learning a lot and reading up about it and am not looking forward to trying to control her food. I find myself reading articles about high oxalate levels and Autisim since I've learned that Savanna has oxalate levels that are right up there with children with autisim.

Also, for those dealing with autisim, have you taken the Organic Acid Test from Great Plains or done any extensive blood work? Savanna has at least a couple of imbalances found in children with autisim in addition to her sensory issues so some of her protocol may be the same.

Thanks!

Susan

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

We are seeing a DAN! doctor in January and i have a feeling that some of these things will be tested for.

I think we are going to have to try the gluten/casein free diet and i sure do not want to, but of course i will. all ella eats is eggs/milk/wheat!!

I was just wondering if you ordered these tests on your own or do you have a doctor helping?

I definitely feel like there could be a major food intolerance or something like that going on with my ella.

Anyway, I do not know about the low oxalate diet, but let me know how it goes!! Hope it helps!

-Angi

Default Thanks! (sorry for the autism misspelling!)

From someone on this board, I was hooked up with a doctor in Florida who ordered all the tests. It was from an organic acid test from Great Plaines along with a bunch of other tests. Good luck to you too! I can't say which I'd rather do gluten/casien free or low oxalate. Both are difficult in my opinion!

My regular doctor would never have done any of these tests so I'm glad I am able to try some of these other things.

Keep us posted!

Our

Susan

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

mckevors diet is very strict due to allergies, gfcf on top of it, no dyes, perservatives, and a very strict protein to carbs to veggies to fruits ratio. the ratio is due to his mito isssues and affects his oxidative stress load. hence my reason for posting. we have had many labs over the past 5yrs btw from various places

Default Mickey,

do you have any trouble controling his diet outside the home? I can't remember the exact situation you are in during the day. I am having a hard time making the decision to tell everyone, "She can't eat that/your food!"

Susan

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

we have had an allergy alert id bracelet on him since 1yr old. he also carries an epi pen and inhaler in his lunch box (yes that made for some huge fights at iep meetings). most people are to scared to even try to feed him something that was not sent from him. now, if you try to feed him food he doesnt recognize the packaging of, he will tell the person he cant have it. we are now teaching him how to read labels. he has mastered the kosher symbols this summer which helps find the dairy/caesin free things.

he is also used to taking a snack bag every where we go. i have an ADA article on food allergies and puclic bldgs that i keep in our big cooler for places that we might spend a day that typically band food as well. sometimes it gets heated but we always end up getting to take the food in.

but we have taught him this from the get go....your situation will be trickier b/c they will see it as a diet and not an allergy. and gosh how could mom deprive her of just 1 cupcake etc when all the other kids have one. so you will need to be ready to be very stern when needed and extremely vigilant. perhaps even have a doc write up a letter of medical necessity (ok, you write it and have doc sign, lol). does this help??? hugs :0)