Thread: Post-Thanksgiving troubles

Hybrid View

zoeyz is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Post-Thanksgiving troubles

Our houseguests left on Sunday, and they are great, low-maintenance relatives and we all love having them here, but my 9 yr old DS is have an awful week. He woke up for the day at 3am yesterday and couldn't get back to sleep.

Today I had an email from his teacher about his behavior- he missed part of recess for it- but I'm really upset about the misbehavior itself. I know I've posted that it's one step forward, two steps back, but this week has been a major step backwards and I'm really upset about it. I think that at age 9, he should have more self control than he is demonstrating this week. I know he doesn't do well with changes in routine and transitions, which is the situation that the long weekend with houseguests created. I just don't know what to do.

He has a 504 plan for ADHD, which I thought might be overkill and unnecessary- it turns out we totally need it - but I can't even think how to use that to help this situation. Do you have any ideas that would help control the physical rambunctiousness at school, particularly during transitions between classes? Thanks for any help.

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

When Ellie gets like that - any change in routine is a big instigator for her, we usually do a lot of sensory crashing and jumping, heavy lifting and gross motor stuff. Any chance that would work? Perhaps the teachers can have him do something physical in the classroom that would divert his energy. Often times i see kids running in place outside the classrooms for this very purpose.

Hugs!

zoeyz is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by jeninnc
    When Ellie gets like that - any change in routine is a big instigator for her, we usually do a lot of sensory crashing and jumping, heavy lifting and gross motor stuff. Any chance that would work? Perhaps the teachers can have him do something physical in the classroom that would divert his energy. Often times i see kids running in place outside the classrooms for this very purpose.

Hugs!
    Those are good ideas. I wonder if there is anything like that they can give him to do at school. They have indoor recess a LOT this time of year, but all that means is that they have free time in the classroom. For a kid like mine, who literally needs to jump and crash, I wish so much they could take them to the gym for recess. I wonder why they don't... I need to ask that question. Thanks for the help and support, appreciated!

Hi Zoey, I feel the same about indoor recess. Evan gets "zoned" when he does not have the physical stimulation. I worry about winter too.

Is there anything you can do in the mornings to give him an outlet and sensory organization -- like maybe he can ride his bike to school? The pushing is good heavy work (esp if there are hills!).

I think Jen's ideas are great, too. Good luck! This too will pass -- the aftermath of holiday guests, huh?!

Lisa

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I like your idea of taking kids to the gym for recess. The indoor free play time does not work for my girl either.

I would rather she goes out with coat, hat, gloves, etc and runs around playing outside than sit inside and do the same stuff. Also, I like her to get more practice with transitions...while at school !!

I like jen's ideas too!

-angi