Thread: Help me remain calm while I talk to dd's teacher

Default Help me remain calm while I talk to dd's teacher

My dd is 10 and in 5th grade. She has been diagnosed with dysgraphia so writing and spelling are VERY hard for her. She also has some visual processing problems which we are doing vision therapy for. For spelling she has 10 words off the list while the rest of the class has 20. She still isn't doing very well in spelling. She knows she is getting a D. Today she had her spelling test. Usually her teacher gives her words first. Today she didn't. She just said to write the words she remembered studying. Because of the visual problems my dd has this would be nearly impossible. She got really frustrated and she said her teacher yelled at her (I really doubt this because dd is so sensitive). Then she told the class that anyone getting a D would not be going on the upcoming field trip.

This really ticks me off! I spend a lot of time every week helping dd study for her spelling test and she still gets a D. It's not like she doesn't put forth any effort. She studies and she cares about doing well. I'm so angry right now that I want to scream. If after I calm down and talk to her teacher and she still won't let her go. I'll be talking to the principal. I'm so livid right now I can barely type. Maybe an email would be better. I hopefully won't sound so angry.

It doesn't help that my dad was just diagnosed with congestive heart failure. He's almost 83. There isn't a lot they can do. Basically he's dying. What a crappy week!

Paula

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

in 5th grade, the test should evaluate if she knows how to spell the word correctly not necessary write (as in grading handwriting). one suggesting would be to ask for a test where each word is spelled 2-4 ways and she has to cirlce the correctly spelled one. this is a fairly common adaption for dysgraphia...hope it helps. i would adamantly fight the field trip restriction....that is just plain wrong!!!

hugs about your dad too!!

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

If she has an IEP or even a 504, one modification for dysgraphia is to have her take the test orally. If the teacher doesn't have enough time, this could be done into a tape recorder at home. The parent reads the word, and the child spells it and records it. Then the teacher just needs to play back the recording at a convenient time and grade it. I've done this before with several students, and it works fine.
    Ellen

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

No, I would be in there first thing this AM face to face with the teacher. You need to tell her you are requesting a meeting with the princiapl ASAP. This is not something I would leave to email - she needs to see the impact this is making on your family.

I would be really ticked off. If you have a 504 or IEP I would bring a copy. Also, print off anything that you can find about your dd's diagnosis. Sometimes people don't believe it until they see it, you know?

Good luck!

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Yep, I would schedule a meeting ASAP with teacher and IEP team....to

straighten out what is going on. Plain wrong to withhold the field trip.

Many, many hugs about your Dad! So hard to have so many stressors at one time, and feel pulled in so many directions!

Hang in there, and take it all little by little!

Hugs again! N