Thread: What do you think about this?

Restless is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default What do you think about this?

Formally requested an OT eval on 9/19 due to issues DS was experiencing at the beginning of the school year. Some other things were also discuswsed and done, including a behavior assessment completed independently by DS's teacher and DH and I, that indicated some serious issues

I was never notified that OT eval was done on 10/19 (one month later) and I rec'd a copy today of the eval. It reads like a college student might have written it - I am not impressed, and don't see any meanful observations, objectives or measurable goals.

DS's issues have settled down, and I have backed off the school. While things are okay for now, I am peeved that it took a month for them to fulfill a valid request for the eval (backed by their assessment), I wasn't notified it was done, and my copy came a month and half AFTER it was done.

Are these legitimate complaints, and who do I complain too? Obviously, the CST was involved in this, and really dropped the ball. I feel like I need to hold them accountable, becasue at some point, everything could turn around, and I don't want this happening again...on the other hand, I don't want to be a biotch either.

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I wish I knew what to say.

I do know that the early intervention people here in our state are just the nicest people but are not up on the latest research, take months to do anything, and seem to be more into paper pushing and diagnosing than stepping in and doing anything about the problems.

Just my 02c!

-Angi

zoeyz is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I think I would take issue with the content of the report primarily, with a minor complaint on communication about the report. I think a month and a half is a little long, but not that surprising to me. If the evaluation were a private one, I'd expect that long to get the report. My big concern would be that the report wasn't useful/meaningful. Does your DS have an IEP? Regardless, I think I'd request a meeting to discuss "next steps", now that you have this "information" from the evaluation, and try to get the author/evaluator in the meeting, along with someone with more authority if there is such a person. Wishing you good luck.

Default Hmmmm....

The lack of communication would bother me the most. It doesn't sound like the school is out of compliance with time, even though a month seems long.
    I would plan a meeting to discuss the eval. That's the reason my ds still gets private OT...good OT's in schools are hard to find and keep. It's frustrating...

Good luck, hope you get some answers. I am glad to hear your ds is doing better!

Kathie and Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Restless
    Formally requested an OT eval on 9/19 due to issues DS was experiencing at the beginning of the school year. Some other things were also discuswsed and done, including a behavior assessment completed independently by DS's teacher and DH and I, that indicated some serious issues

I was never notified that OT eval was done on 10/19 (one month later) and I rec'd a copy today of the eval. It reads like a college student might have written it - I am not impressed, and don't see any meanful observations, objectives or measurable goals.

DS's issues have settled down, and I have backed off the school. While things are okay for now, I am peeved that it took a month for them to fulfill a valid request for the eval (backed by their assessment), I wasn't notified it was done, and my copy came a month and half AFTER it was done.

Are these legitimate complaints, and who do I complain too? Obviously, the CST was involved in this, and really dropped the ball. I feel like I need to hold them accountable, becasue at some point, everything could turn around, and I don't want this happening again...on the other hand, I don't want to be a biotch either.

I probably wouldn't let it go entirely, but I would probably soft-pedal it if I were thinking that it's not yet time to fight. Maybe register your concerns about the content, and note the timing - and then be clear about what you want the next steps to be. Is it worth keeping the process moving just in case you want something in the future? Great that ds is doing so much better, though!

Lisa

anniemc2000 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Did anyone talk to you about it?

It seems there should have been some personal communication about the eval....such as when it was being done, and even getting your input. I would also think the results would be discussed with you as well. Do you have a team leader? That's who I would speak to about it, maybe simply saying you'd like to keep good communication going.
    Good luck!
    Ann

Default Question and Suggestions...

Did the school give you any information about your rights and/or special education laws? Are you familiar with special education laws?

The reason I ask is under IDEA the school has 60 day to test, so the timeline you describe seems correct to me. It may seem like a long time but the school is within their legal requirements.

Also, if you do not agree with the report, you can request an IEE (independent education evaluation) with is done priavetly at the school's expense.

If you have any questions, please let me know and I will try to help.

Here's is my motto.... Knowledge is Power!

To learn more about Special Ed laws, here is a great web site...
    http://www.wrightslaw.com/

I can also recommend a couple of books about Special Ed laws to read that might help.

-Robin
    DS w/ APD

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Nothing surprises me. I would look into an IEE if the report is not complete enough. Good luck

Restless is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Here's some more info

DS is technically not Special Ed...the issues that were being addressed were being done by the "Info and Referral Team" - they are the step before the CST.

I considered having DS evaluated privately because I am not happy with the communication at the school, and don't trust them completely. I have backed off that because his situation has dramactically improved, and it doesn't appear to be warranted. His teacher was/is against any evaluation that would result in a diagnosis, as she is worried that the recommendation by the evaluators would be to medicate him...I was seeking to just get some answers and a roadmap how to help my child. I have/had no intentions of medicating him for anything other than infections or allergies! His behavior has improved, and the issues have resolved. It was a bumpy start to the new school year, and I think my DS taught us all a few things about how hard it can be for a child to be retained in a grade.

Thanks for the link - I have gone there in the past, and was completely overwhlemed by it all...