Thread: ReneeNJ... APD Answer

Default ReneeNJ... APD Answer

My DS was first dx with "tendencies toward APD" in K by a private and school SLP (speech and language pathologist). There is a long story involving lots of other testing and a "no" for an IEP... but there is not enough time in the day for that story!!!

But the offical dx must come from an audiologist and most will not test a child until 7 or 8.

So my DS just turned 8 (now 3rd grade) in September and was "formally" dx by an audiologist in November.

I then took the report and all its recommendations to the school and they were then willing to do a 504 plan.

If you want more infor about APD, here is a link to a post I made some time ago with APD resources/info...
    http://www.inciid.org/forum/showthre...&highlight=apd

As always... if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!!

-Robin

ReneeNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Emma is 8 (3rd grade) and I think there is definitely APD there. The sections of the standardized testing that were verbal for the questions she definitely did not do as well in. She also was lowest (I want to say something like 60th percentile) on the WISC-IV testing that the education consultant (PhD) did last summer that resulted in the ADD diagnosis. I firmly believe that the ADD is a valid diagnosis and meds are helping.

Thanks for the link and I will keep you posted. Now I wonder if I can get the school to do the APD testing or if it is going to have to come out of pocket.

Good luck w/ getting your 504 implemented. So far I have not had to get a 504 plan however I wonder if I need to have accomodations made for the major standardized testing that comes this year.

Renee