Thread: What a difference a week makes...

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default What a difference a week makes...

5 days on anxiety meds and I have a whole new kid. I'm not done holding my breath, and dh keeps saying he's waiting for the explosion, but so far it hasn't come. NO explosions in 5 days, even when she was working on an art project for school (previously a huge anxiety stressor).

She's letting me style her hair.

She smiled and said it looked pretty.

She gave me a hug.

These are behaviors I have not seen in my daughter in several years.

Merry Christmas everyone.
    Ellen
    Sarah, almost 13 with Aspergers and anxiety

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default yippppppeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellen,
    I am soo happy to read yyour posting. WOW, that is incredible news! Good for you guys for getting her the meds she needed. Wow, that is soo great.

I know meds are in the future for Ella because of anxiety so i am glad to hear that they work so well.

I will keep my fingers crossed that this great behavior continues.

If you do not mind, which kind is she on?

I have major anxiety issues so I am always interested to hear what works for others.

Great posting!
    Congratulations!

-Angi

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

PS I have goose bumps after re-reading your posting.

It is sooo great to hear good news like this! HOPE!

She is taking a low dose of Lexapro. It's the same meds as Celexa, but with a slightly different formula so that there are fewer side effects and it's easier to handle. That was the first choice of the dr. we saw, but he said that there are others. One of the reasons he likes Lexapro is that it comes in both liquid and pill form, so you can really customize the dosage to the child. Dd had a few tummy problems with it the first few days, but is just fine now.
    Ellen

Laura H1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I have the same sentiments as Angi...

thanks for posting... it DOES give me hope too...

lot's of things have been giving me hope lately... just finished reading, "Look Me In The Eye" by John Elder Robison... my nephew got me the Jenny McCarthy book for Christmas... also reading a book by Temple Grandin...

Yay! for your dd! and good for you for sticking it out... and seeking help for her!!! Laura

As an addendum... Tonight we played a board game that dd got for Christmas. We haven't played a board game as a family for YEARS because dd would get SO stressed out, have a screaming fit, tears, etc. She is super competitive and totally obsessed with being perfect, and so not doing well at a board game drove her crazy.

We played Life. We played a whole game. The only person who got stressed out was my dh because dd was not understanding a few of the instructions. Dd did NOT raise her voice, didn't cry or scream, didn't walk away. She played the entire game, laughed, and said how much she enjoyed it. She asked if we could play again sometime soon. She lost the game and just shrugged and said she'd do better next time.

Who is this person and what have they done with my daughter?????

Then again, I don't care. I'm LIKING this new version a LOT!!!

Ellen (still waiting for the other shoe....)

JulieATL is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I am so relieved and happy for you....m

that's the thing about psychotropic meds - when they are truly needed and the diagnosis is right on and the doctor gets the dosage right - they are incredibly effective. It's unreal. I've seen this firsthand countless times when I was a therapist working with kids at the mental health clinic. With certain kids, with certain meds, the effect was astounding, and it was a whole new life given to the child, the family and their teachers. It's just so hard to diagnose kids and you never want to just jump into a medicine. But I'm so thankful that you found a doctor astute enough to properly diagnose and prescribe and anxiety is so responsive to medicine, especially in kids with sensitive metabolic systems and it sounds like your dd is one of those. Enjoy the change, enjoy the freedom of knowing what it's like to have a relatively "normal" family life. I'm not there yet, but we have snippets during the good times and it feels terrific.

I can totally relate on the arts and crafts/games front. We can almost never do projects or play games with ds because it ALWAYS, no exaggeration, turns into a disaster. Always. Tears, screaming, time outs, warnings, "I hate you, you a bad mommy" episodes, the whole deal. I have been so jealous of my friends who so easily bring out a game or toy or teach their child how to play it or just sit and color together or do play dough or whatever and it comes so naturally. Can they imagine for a second what it's like for a family whose child has to be on meds just to be able to sit peacefully through one board game???? That's why we have each other, so we don't feel so alone in our unique situations.

Thanks for sharing your experience and although there will still be good days and bad, ups and downs, hopefully they will be shorter lived and more easily managed, especially now that you're approaching puberty (yikes!).

All the best,
    Julie
    ds Andrew, 4.5, dev delay, anxiety, SID, who knows what else?

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Wow! So great to hear this!

I sincerely hope that this continues for you and that this is the new normal for you guys. I know that it is such a relief and brings you so much joy to hear and see your dd like this.

Hugs and Merry Christmas!

Susan

Default I am so thrilled for all of you!

What an awesome report! Yippee!

Kathie

Quote Originally Posted by danellsar
    5 days on anxiety meds and I have a whole new kid. I'm not done holding my breath, and dh keeps saying he's waiting for the explosion, but so far it hasn't come. NO explosions in 5 days, even when she was working on an art project for school (previously a huge anxiety stressor).

She's letting me style her hair.

She smiled and said it looked pretty.

She gave me a hug.

These are behaviors I have not seen in my daughter in several years.

Merry Christmas everyone.
    Ellen
    Sarah, almost 13 with Aspergers and anxiety