Thread: LandB Lisa - update us on the piano lessons....m

JulieATL is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default LandB Lisa - update us on the piano lessons....m

I was just reading your last post and remembered about the whole recent piano teacher debacle and I was wondering how your ds was doing with piano now, and with the new teacher and if you ever heard from old teacher again. Did you ever wind up trying to pursue registering a complaint with some overseeing board of piano teachers? Hope he's doing well and loving the piano as much as always.

- Julie

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I was just wondering the same thing!

Thinking of your family, hoping all is well!

hugs! N

Default bump

nt

You are so sweet to ask! Sorry I have been offline . . . work is kicking my butt unexpectedly (I know I always say that when I have been offline!).

The news is . . . (drum roll) . . . Evan *loves* his new teacher. And we love her too. She is fun and creative, and she's teaching him so much more than just which keys to press. I didn't realize how cut-and-dried the old teacher's lessons were until I saw this teacher in action. The new one talks about how songs tell a story, and they play games about making the music sound like you're feeling, and she gave him a little theory notebook that talks about building songs out of notes like you build a castle out of bricks, etc. All of these are things that I was hoping he could be introduced to, so that he knows from early on that performing is not the only way to enjoy music.

One other big contrast came up early . . . As she worked on fingering skills with Evan, she noticed that he tends to fold his thumbs. I emailed her and said that Evan might need some extra help in developing dexterity, because he has "some mild physical disabilities that affect his fine and gross motor skills." I invited her to ask any questions that would help her in teaching him. She wrote back this perfectly lovely email saying she appreciated how open we were, and she had some hand exercises that would help him immensely, and it will be fun to see him continue to develop. I laughed with relief. (And as far as I could tell, she did *not* forward this medical information to any other parents!)

And, we saw the old teacher at the supermarket last week. Well, I did. Evan did not see her. Evan was in the car already and I was opening the door to get into the driver's seat when I saw her drive by. We saw each other, there was no pretending, and we waved and smiled politely. Thank goodness we did not run into each other in the store!

I did try to find an overseeing board of piano teachers, but I could not find one that she belonged to. Figures -- she's not that professional! I have not put it completely out of my head that I want to send her a final note setting out exactly where she screwed up, but in the end there is only so much mental energy to go around and I have wasted enough on her!

I really want to take a little video of Evan playing. I will post a link if I do!

Thanks again for asking!!!

Lisa

Default I am so happy to hear this worked out for the better!!

Yay! and, the best part of all is Evan is happy.. and mommy's happy!

Ahhh relief!

I'd forget about the old music teacher...(I always loved the phrase money talks, bs walks..same principle!)... vote with your dollars, lol.

Glad she's making music come alive, that's what it's all about! And hopefully it's make those little neurons fire up big time!!

XOXO! Miss ya! N

JulieATL is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Wow, that is awesome news!!!!!m

I have never heard of such creative approaches to teaching music before. Sounds like you scored yourself a winner. I guess we have to file this experience under the category of: Sometimes when things happen in life that are awful, great things come out of it and only then do we realize why the awful thing happened in the first place. Or to put it more simply, "sometimes life deals us lemons and we make lemonade". In this case, your new teacher is like the best lemonade I've ever tasted! I'm so impressed by her skills in teaching and by her being so comfortable with your email and sending you a very appropriate note back....and that she didn't publish it in the local newspaper or anything.....

Hooray for Evan. Yes, please oh please, try to post a video or even a picture of him playing. It would just complete this happy story.

Julie

zoeyz is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

What a nice update! That makes me want to take piano lessons from her and sign my kids up too She sounds great. I'm so glad your son is having a good experience with piano now.