Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Met with preschool sp. ed. teacher this morning

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Met with preschool sp. ed. teacher this morning

she feels that most of jacob's issues are neurological, specifically his level of implusivity. She said that he is very bright, he is not being a bully. She feels its all attention getting behavior and impulsiveness. She suggested that we take him back to the doctor and talk to medical people about him. I already had an appt with the peds for Feb. 7th. I'll talk to him about getting jacob a neuropsych eval. She had some other ideas for positive reinforcement at home based on school behavior.

helpful but not at the same time.
    karen

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I read this and below....I am sorry you are having so much trouble with him. I bet he senses that you and dh and not on the same page as well, and that must be confusing to him. Have you seen a developmental ped. yet? That was really the key to putting all of Ellie's behavior issues together and come to a consensus about how to treat her as a whole.

I am curious as to why you stopped the sensory stuff?

We had to stop the sensory appts because there was no time in the week to take him since he goes to preschool 5 mornings and 4 afternoons a week. We haven't seen a dev. ped yet. That might be the next step. He is seeing the regular ped. on Feb 7th to talk about what the next steps are.

Thanks
    karen

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Karen,

do you see a benefit when you do sensory diet stuff at home? If so, then I still think she should be trying at school, even while going forward with nerological stuff.

HUGS. I hope you find something to help in February.

Susan

PS... Savanna has impulsive issues too, some sensory and some other stuff. She's been helped from all the supplements shes on after her organic acid test and other testing.

when I go to the peds appt in feb i am going to bring the list of tests that company runs and info about the super nu therapy vitamins. I want to do this but dh won't unless peds says its necessary.

i don't know if the sensory stuff helps at home. I have gotten out of so much of it because his time at home is so limited. He doesn't get home until 4 pm 4 days a week and then its a short playtime, dinner and bed.

karen

JulieATL is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Karen....m

I've read the whole string of posts. And I truly feel for you and your situation. I'm very disappointed in the SpEd director, if he's in a special needs class, there should be no difficulty for the teachers to handle his behavior. None of it should be surprising to them and they should know better than to just report little snippets like there's anything you can do about what he did 2 hours ago to a boy. There's definitely sensory stuff, overstimation going on. Maybe it's "neurological", maybe not. What does that mean anyway? If it were early signs of ADHD, is that was she means? If it's ASD, if it's SID, does that qualify in her eyes? I think she may have been trying to squirrel out of something. See, if she said it was behavioral, or social, or something less "medical" sounding, she'd have to come up with more of a plan to deal with it. But if she says "this is something neurological, you should find out what's wrong with him and see what they recommend" then she's just getting out of her job of educating him, as he is, whatever may be wrong with him. No matter what the dx turns out to be, they still have to effectively manage the behaviors as they occur at face value, regardless of the physical reason for them. Child is choking another child, you deal with it. Figure out the antecedent, the purpose of the behavior, and try different interventions that work. Period. Further evals, dev ped reports, blah blah, are not going to write his IEP or establishn better behavior plans for the classroom.

Sorry, I'm ranting. I'm just very frustrated with the runaround you're getting. They need to organize a list of the most common situations that are troublesome with your son and come up together with ways they can effectively manager that behavior. No excuses.

Oh, and Yes, I do believe you should reward him for positive reports from school. Punishments for school behavior, no. But tangible rewards for workking hard all day and practicing good self-control - absolutely!!!!!

One last thing - he really does sound sensory. I know he has a long day and gets home late. But he needs OT, seems like to me. Why were all the sensory supports removed? Was it at school? Any way, can he have one short day, where you pick him up early and he goes to outside OT? It would be totally worth it. However, you have 3 kids, I know it can be hard. Just wondering. Ok, I'll be quiet now.

Julie

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default ((hugs))...one thing I learned through the years...

is that a regular pediatrician handles general every day issues with children. I would not count on the pedi being expert enough to know or not know what your ds needs at this point. I cannot recall who all you have taken him to see. I'd definitely consider a complete eval by a developmental pedi. If you have a children's hospital near you, there may be some who specialize in just behavior/learning differences, etc. I'm sorry you are not being helped at school. That was my experience with public school. Too little, too late.

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default ((hugs))...one thing I learned through the years...

is that a regular pediatrician handles general every day issues with children. I would not count on the pedi being expert enough to know or not know what your ds needs at this point. I cannot recall who all you have taken him to see. I'd definitely consider a complete eval by a developmental pedi. If you have a children's hospital near you, there may be some who specialize in just behavior/learning differences, etc. I'm sorry you are not being helped at school. That was my experience with public school. Too little, too late.

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlc
    We had to stop the sensory appts because there was no time in the week to take him since he goes to preschool 5 mornings and 4 afternoons a week. We haven't seen a dev. ped yet. That might be the next step. He is seeing the regular ped. on Feb 7th to talk about what the next steps are.

Thanks
    karen
    Ellie used to be in two schools, but it was way too much for her. She failed miserably at both until I pulled her out of the typical school and only kept her in the snk school. 100% behavior improvement. She was so stressed out sensory wise having to shift from one to another, that she would just lose it.

I don't know if it is a possibility, but I would strongly consider reducing his school hours and using that time to put him back in OT.

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

First off hugs. I am not sure I like the teacher saying Jacob's issues are neorologicallyb ased-as someone else said in her reply-the speical need teachers, aides should be able to handle a pre-school aged child's behaviors.

I also think that your regular Pedi probably does not know enough to truly help. I would agree to more testing if it will help you better understand your son.

hugs again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast