Thread: Must See Video about Autism . . .

Default Must See Video about Autism . . .

My aunt sent me the link to this video and the following info...

Dear Friends and Family,

The band 'Five for fighting' is generously donating $.49 to Autism Speaks for **each time** this video is viewed, and the funding goes toward research studies to help find a cure. When you have a moment, please visit the link below to watch the video and pass it along to your friends and family. It's a beautiful video. They are aiming for 10,000 hits, but hopefully we can help them to surpass this goal.

http://www.whatkindofworlddoyouwant....view/id/408214

Having a 12-year-old autistic daughter this video brought me to tears. We too were told to wait too many times and in the past 6 months alone we have spent more than $1K out of pocket for social skills therapy for her. Baby Steps.

HUGS TO ALL:

Charlotte
    Morgan (12) Autism, ADHD

I wish the pic was bigger, but hey this is the first time I have figured out how to post a picture since they switched to this forum. My dd couldn't speak at age 3 either, but look how far she's come.

smf3 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Beautiful video! I find it so sad that most insurances won't cover the therapy needed for autism. I could rant on and on about that, but my head is muddled because I am tired and because I was crying at the video

Thanks for sharing that
    Shawna

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Fabulous video! So true. My insurance will cover the psychiatric treatments, but not the therapies that dd needs. So we either pay ourselves (when we can) or she goes without.
    Ellen

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I can never get through this video without tears!

Ellie's therapies/treatment this year cost us $11,000 (just did my taxes!) of which we will get about $2000 back on taxes, so we are out $9K. Our insurance deems any treatment for autism experimental and will not cover it. They will not cover ST, or OT either, as they feel the school system should provide it. Which they do provide to her, but our school has been without an OT since October. So we choose to do it privately to give her the best shot for future sucess. It really sucks! We are lucky in that dh makes a good salary, but that disqualifies us from recieving any grants or aid from the state.

I want to sit the people down who make the coverage decisions and show them videos of Ellie 18 months ago, and then today. Experimental my a$$.

Default Re: OT & ST

Our insurance doesn't cover OT at all and the schools provide nada. Evenher pediatrician didn't think dd needed OT. Tell that her OT. Luckily, her OT works with her therapist, who is covered under our mental health benefits, so we get some help, but not much.

Ella is adorable! Keep pulling for her.

HUGS,
    Charlotte