Thread: An idea for those of you trying to get services...

justLaura is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default An idea for those of you trying to get services...

My son's teacher suggested emailing the education department chair of a local college, asking if someone in their masters program needed preclinical hours. Brendan has a form of dysgraphia that makes writing very difficult -- he's progressed immensely in his reading and test taking --it's just the writing that poses the problem.

So, I looked up the local dean for the teachers' college nearby, and said:

Hello, Dr. P---------,

I’m Laura M------, a parent of students enrolled in St. ---------School in -------, Illinois. After meeting with my son’s third grade teacher, she recommended that I contact COLLEGE to determine if there might be a graduate student who might be able to work with my son, Brendan.

Brendan is in third grade at a small Catholic school. He has a dx of ADHD (which is well-controlled by medication) and he is making progress in most of his areas of study. The greatest challenge he has is writing – specifically, any task that requires writing is extremely challenging. He has difficulties with spelling, and while he can create a story verbally, it rarely translates to the written word.

If any of your graduate students are working on this specific area and might need additional field hours, I would love any advice or connections you could make.

Thanks so much for your time,

Sincerely,

ME
    Here's the reply I got:

Thank you for your email and question about assistance for your son. I apologize for the delay in responding. I was away and am now catching up on emails.

I have copied this reply to TEACHER, a faculty member in special education here on the X Campus. Students in his classes complete preclinical experiences in settings that include students with special needs, so I thought this might be best addressed by him and his students as it fits more closely with their experiences.

TEACHER, I don’t know if there might be a student in one of your classes that would be interested or if it would address the preclinical experiences of your classes, but I thought I would send this along to you.

Thanks again for asking Laura and thanks TEACHER for following up.
    Since then, I've had several emails back and forth with various professors saying they're looking into the needs of their grad students.

I know a lot of you guys are having a hard time finding good academic supports, so this might be a venue for others, especially since they're usually FREE or offered at a very modest rate! I'll keep you posted.

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

heres one that we used with success.....made it seem more official to the students and they took it more seriously. i used the same one i was given in the 90's during my psych intern with a family implementing a sonrise program for their 3yr old with autism. it could be used for any program though, not just sonrise. i recently came across it again when cleaning out papers in ouir basement. hope this helps someone

MIRACLE MAKERS

Memorandum:
    Special Education, Early Childhood Education, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Physical Therapy, Nursing, Sociology, and Psychology Professors and/or Instructors

Subject: “Miracle Makers” Internship, an autism therapy program

The following outline will describe an exciting new internship available to a limited number of students for 1994:

Length of Internship:
    One semester to one full year. Minimum commitment of six (6) hours per week:

A. Three or more hours of play therapy
    B. Three hours of educational training and feedback

Purpose of Internship:
    To provide extensive early intervention to a moderately autistic 2 ˝ year old boy with the goals of eliciting social interaction. Students will learn to understand autistic characteristics and behaviors, and will learn “incidental” teaching/play to help the child develop expressive and receptive language. Training will include instruction in sensory integration therapy, speech and language therapy, and social interaction therapy.

Work Environment:
    Interns will work with the child in a structured in-home educational classroom. Interns will complete weekly behavioral evaluation reports and attend feedback sessions. Interns will receive a written letter of reference to confirm participation in the “Miracle Makers” all-inclusive autism therapy program.
    Last edited by mickey2; 02-11-2008 at 01:16 PM.

JulieATL is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default awesome ideas from both of you....m

on ways to "go through the back door" to get qualified, motivated people to work with our kids. Excellent, thanks for sharing!!!!!

- Julie

MIRACLE MAKERS

Memorandum:
    Special Education, Early Childhood Education, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Physical Therapy, Nursing, Sociology, and Psychology Professors and/or Instructors

Subject: “Miracle Makers” Internship, an autism therapy program

The following outline will describe an exciting new internship available to a limited number of students for 1994:

Length of Internship:
    One semester to one full year. Minimum commitment of six (6) hours per week:

A. Three or more hours of play therapy
    B. Three hours of educational training and feedback

Purpose of Internship:
    To provide extensive early intervention to a moderately autistic 2 ˝ year old boy with the goals of eliciting social interaction. Students will learn to understand autistic characteristics and behaviors, and will learn “incidental” teaching/play to help the child develop expressive and receptive language. Training will include instruction in sensory integration therapy, speech and language therapy, and social interaction therapy.

Work Environment:
    Interns will work with the child in a structured in-home educational classroom. Interns will complete weekly behavioral evaluation reports and attend feedback sessions. Interns will receive a written letter of reference to confirm participation in the “Miracle Makers” all-inclusive autism therapy program.[/quote]