Thread: Portable doorknob covers?

Default Portable doorknob covers?

Crossposted this on PAI, but here's a version with more info:

Does anyone know of doorknob-safety covers -- those things you use with a tot who has just learned to turn forbidden doorknobs -- that can be easily moved from one knob to another? Miriam has finally discovered the joy of doorknobs, at age 3.5, and she is SO fast and SUCH an escape artist, and the word "NO" is not a deterrant to her at all.

So we started covering up the doorknobs at home, but at church last night she was repeatedly escaping the Sunday school room and the nursery. The covers we've got do not lend themselves well to being quickly removed (by an adult of course).

Does anyone know of a brand that is easy to move from one knob to another, but is still moderately childproof?

Thanks in advance,
    Joanne
    & Miriam

JulieATL is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Do you just have the standard ones where....m

they are two hemispheres and you put them on either side of the knob and you have to align them up on either side with a tab and squish together? That's the only one I think I've ever seen. I had to travel with those whenever we visited friends with non-baby-proofed houses and all I can tell you is I got reeeeeaaaaal good at taking them on and off in a snap. Sorry, hope someone else has something better for you. Just wanted to commiserate.

- Julie

Yeah, that's what we've got. Maybe I'll just have to learn to live with it. It's good to know that it's at least possible to get good at taking them on and off!

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

that's all I've seen too. Perhaps the church will just let you leave one on?

Of course my know it all friend says with superior attitude "just tell her to stay in the room"

Quote Originally Posted by jeninnc
    Of course my know it all friend says with superior attitude "just tell her to stay in the room"
    Oh those know-it-alls! Yes, the need for doorknob covers is SO obviously an indictment of our parenting skills.

In the case of church, I don't suppose I can just leave covers on the knobs because that's not fair to the tots who do have the self-control skills to use the knob appropriately but won't be able to work the cover. I'm also a little limited on what we can do at church because our congregation doesn't actually own the building, just rents it for the Sunday evening. If we owned the building, I'd IMMEDIATELY get the pre-school Sunday school room re-arranged. They've got it all set up into adorable little "worship centers" with candles and live plants and draping scarves and stuff, all of which is utterly unsuitable for poor Miriam!

Oh well, I suppose I'll learn to get the covers on and off quickly at least.