Thread: First Poop Without Miralax In 1-1/2 Yrs!

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default First Poop Without Miralax In 1-1/2 Yrs!

Laura, are you still having good results with mag. citrate powder?

Ella has been off Miralax for 3 days and we were getting really nervous that things were backing up and that the magnesium citrate was not going to work for her. We just switched cold turkey and we were thinking maybe we should have done it slower. But, today it happened and it was a "biggen."

She felt great.

She gags on the magnesium citrate but that is probably because i mix it with the super nu vitamins and it all tastes/smells horrible. poor girl.

I do not know if it will make a behavioral difference, but I keep going back to what it says on the prescription we just got for miralax. "DO NOT GIVE TO CHILDREN" "DO NOT TAKE FOR MORE THAN 2 WEEKS" "IF YOU ARE PREGNANT OR NURSING ASK YOUR DOCTOR..."

Hope it is still going good for you.

I felt SO HAPPY TODAY when she had her poop!!!

It is the little things.....

-angi

YEAH!!!

So glad it is working...I'll have my fingers crossed that this continues and helps behaviorally!
    LM

That's really exciting!! Where do you buy it? what is it like? how do you dose it?
    -beth

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Oh good! I hope it continues to go well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti
    That's really exciting!! Where do you buy it? what is it like? how do you dose it?
    -beth

Hey there,
    i buy it at http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/
    It comes in a jar, and it is a white powder.

It is magnesium citrate.

They claim to have very pure vitamins/minerals without toxins or metals.

I hope it continues to work.

Do you use Miralax?

-Angi

Laura H1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

WOOOOOHOOOOO! I was going to post about it, but kept thinking if I did, I would jinx it all and he would stop pooping... One day last week he did NOT go and I was anxious about it, but the next afternoon he went poop and it was also a "biggen", lol!

Actually all of his are BIG, but they don't seem to distress him at all... and oddly, eventhough his poops with miralax were like "spiral soft serve ice-cream" (sorry, lol!), he always seemed distressed and HATED pooping... I'd have to convince and cajole him to just sit on the potty... now he is going BY HIMSELF! really, really amazing...

This Friday we go back for a follow-up with Dr. Perlmutter and it will have been a month on the magnesium citrate for him... so glad to say "buh-bye" to the Miralax... eventhough I was able to ignore the controversy on the long-term Miralax use for the past several years, Dr. P had me nervous about it again... anyway, so glad to not have the anxiety about it anymore...

and Chris is so proud that he is pooping without fear and WITH success now... eventhough it has been a month, this new-found bout with "normalcy" in a daily activity still feels thrilling, lol!

I so wish they could figure out why the majority of PDD/NOS and autism spectrum children have chronic constipation...

anway, WOOOOOHOOOOO! again.... and hoping your experience with the mag citrate continues along the lines of ours!

Laura
    p.s. I probably would have gone with Kirkman's "sweetless" version if I had known about it; however, on Friday the orange flavored "Natural Calm" by Peter Gillham arrived and it is a hit with all my kids... YAY!

Thanks Angi and Laura! Yes, ds is on miralax, about 1/2 tsp or so twice per day, mixed in chocolate milk. So, do you think I could mix the mag citrate in with choc milk? How do you give it? Does it work the same way as miralax?

He poops (almost) every day on miralax (as long as we don't miss a dose) but it's still a rather large poop and it disturbs me how stretched out his colon must be. I don't know if anything will fix that but time. I'm starting to wish ds would poop more than once per day, just to cut down on the size. But he goes on his own when he's finally ready; no amount of prompting can get him to do it.
    -beth

i did mix miralax in chocolate milk but i knew my picky girl would never go for the magnesium in chocolate milk. I put it in a 5ml medicine dropper mixed with her horrible tasting super nu vitamins. (mixed in a bowl first) she fights everything, so what we have done is work *with* her anxiety/ocd. she really hates anything dripping on her so we come to her with the dropper and say something like "hurry, so it does not drip" and she usually takes it without thinking or complaining too much, and I hand her a cup of chocolate milk (with probiotics added to it) as a chaser and she usually drinks that fast so that she can get the supernu/mag taste out of her mouth.

we sort of feel bad bout using her "issues" like this, but hey, it is one little piece of life that is easy for some reason.

she has been a TERRORIST now that she is feeling better from her flu. ? argh.

Cant wait for all the doc appts. coming up.

DH and I keep joking about the "play therapy" appt coming up next week. Yah, sure, we need to be taught how to play with her and then all of this anger will stop! (we have had every EI person to our house, read all of the books, dh is getting master's in nursing, etc...we are not idiots) But, it is like the docs think that because she is a 4 yr old GIRL that she cannot be that big of a threat or that her behavior is not so bad. I have been meaning to video tape some of this. I will try this weekend. I think it is important that they see this.

Oh yeah, today she wanted to poop by HERSELF and went in alone, did it all and wiped...when i tried to do a 2nd wipe to make sure she insisted that she do it and that she is a big girl and wants to go potty by herself!??!??!??! This is highly unusual for her!

I started a new sticker chart for her for aobut 8 positive behaviors and she likes it...but she still cannot seem to control her extreme reactions and anger to things.

-angi

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I have no experience in regards to my kiddos, but I bet you feel a sense of relief

Default still pooping from the magnesium

definitely feeling good about this transition off of miralax! yippeee!