Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The vaccine case winners on CNN tonight...

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default The vaccine case winners on CNN tonight...

on Larry King live. Just FYI. The girls dad is a neurologist and mom is an pediatric RN. Should be an interesting watch.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/03/05....ap/index.html

Laura H1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Thank you! I just set my DVR up to record it!

Laura

This is wild that it's getting so much attention! I emailed with our doc about it (we see the doc who dx'd this child's mito) and he said that this is not the first time that a mito child has gotten DVIC compensation. It's so interesting that the press has picked this one up. I wonder if her parents have helped to generate interest.

Lisa

I think that it's getting attention because of David Kirby's blogging on Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-...i_b_88323.html the other week.

One thing that troubles me about the sudden media frenzy here is that the burden of proof in a vaccine-harm case is unusually low. It's not "beyond a reasonable doubt"; the threshold is actually "better than even odds." So if your case is good enough that it's more than 50% likely that the vaccine caused harm, you can win the case. Here's a link to the blogger Orac and his Respectful Insolence blog, raising this and other points:
    http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...tion_claim.php

But some people, Kirby included, are making it sound like the case PROVES a mito/autism/vaccine link. I think that the best it does is raise questions for further study. We're pretty far away from medically-sound proof at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieJo
    I think that it's getting attention because of David Kirby's blogging on Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-...i_b_88323.html the other week.

One thing that troubles me about the sudden media frenzy here is that the burden of proof in a vaccine-harm case is unusually low. It's not "beyond a reasonable doubt"; the threshold is actually "better than even odds." So if your case is good enough that it's more than 50% likely that the vaccine caused harm, you can win the case. Here's a link to the blogger Orac and his Respectful Insolence blog, raising this and other points:
    http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...tion_claim.php

But some people, Kirby included, are making it sound like the case PROVES a mito/autism/vaccine link. I think that the best it does is raise questions for further study. We're pretty far away from medically-sound proof at this point.
    I don't need medically-sound proof... I need "junk-free" vaccines to protect my children from communicable diseases...

I think parents of vaccine-injured children, especially those actively seeking treatment for their children are savvy enough to weed out the facts from bloggers, even the most criticized one, David Kirby...

Laura

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I think my girl's immune system just cannot handle the immunizations. i know we have had mercury free vaccines for her -- at least her flu shot this fall was and it did not matter --- all of her symptoms were worse after the flu shot for weeks and weeks.

i think her gut is soo messed up from the original rounds of shots that any more immune issues introduced just make her nuts.

does that make any sense...
    sorry no breakfast or lunch yet today....

angi

Clash of the worldviews. This is one of the hardest things for me to deal with in the autism community, that so many of us are WORLDS apart on the question of vaccines....

OK, I need to go away now. I can't read vaccine-related threads without getting myself into deep waters, so I ought to just stay away.

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Hey Annie jo,
    I would like to hear your opinion.

I know that there are many views to the vaccine debate.

I used to be "Pro-Vaccine" when my daughter was little -- my husband was in RN school and ALL of his textbooks said there was no link to autism,etc... so we asked for every shot, even the ones that were not required. :0

Well, now we BoTh feel differently. We both wish we never gave her any vaccines. Something about our daughter and vaccines does not mix. She was a happy little kid- smiling and sweet before her round of shots at age 1. After that, it all changed.

So, what I am trying to say is that I respect all opinions on the subject even though I know in my heart of hearts that for us, the shots affected our daughter.

Everyone on this forum is very considerate and accepting of other's viewpoints. (as far as i know)
    -angi

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieJo
    Clash of the worldviews. This is one of the hardest things for me to deal with in the autism community, that so many of us are WORLDS apart on the question of vaccines....

OK, I need to go away now. I can't read vaccine-related threads without getting myself into deep waters, so I ought to just stay away.
    No, no, no! Do not go away or stay away! Your opinion is very much needed and wanted here...

It does appear my response is directed at you, but truly it was residual from reading Orac's blog... I just don't understand why someone who is not in my family and seen my child everyday of his life could chalk me up to an "anti-vaccine" person... I have no agenda to defeat vaccines... I believe in their TREMENDOUS value in our lives today... I have NO idea the how's or the why's, but I do know the "when's", which followed vaccination...

It is a must that studies get done and scientific proof is shown... and I would like to know the "how's" and "why's"... but for now it does me no good... my kid is on the spectrum and needs help to recover...

I'm so sorry if my post hurt you... that is absolutely not my intent... I just wanted to be heard myself... I'm so overwhelmed with helping Chris get better that I still never manage to say all that I want to say...

(((hugs))) please stay... everyone's opinion and information really does count for me here...

Laura

I know about Kirby's blogging . . . the question is, why is the blogosphere talking about this case, when there have been many before it? I wonder if it's getting more attention because McCain recently said at a campaign event that there is strong evidence that thimerosal causes autism; that might be a reason for political blogs to discuss the ruling.

Just to clarify, "better than even odds" is not an "unusually low" standard. It is overwhelmingly the most common standard applied in the law. It applies in *all* types of compensation-for-injury cases, and in many, many other legal contexts (including medical malpractice and other areas where law and medicine intersect). "Beyond a reasonable doubt" is reserved for criminal cases, which are a tiny percentage of cases overall. No one is sending the vaccine manufacturers to jail for injuring this girl, they are just awarding compensation. Medicine surely can't lay claim to "beyond a reasonable doubt" certainty for everything that it does -- and if it did, patients would complain (even more than we do now!) about the slow pace of medical science.

In any event, I too wish that the autism community were not so polarized on this issue. It seems perfectly coherent from a scientific perspective to say that thimerosal can cause autism in a vulnerable subset of the population. The same analysis applies to side effects of all types; even drugs that are overwhelmingly safe are not safe for *everyone.* I can't say whether that is true of thimerosal, but I do wish that saying it were not something that shuts down discussion. There is no reason for *either* side of the debate to take an all-or-nothing approach. People should keep talking!

Lisa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast