Thread: Can someone help me understand this?

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Can someone help me understand this?

Where I work, I have a student (in 3rd grade). He has a learning disability. He also has a psychiatric problem for which he takes meds and regularly sees a psychiatrist. Due to his LD and a few other factors, his learning level is at least 3 years below grade level.

The email I got this morning from the Special Ed teacher said that he has no "discrepancy" between his achievement and ability, so they will NOT be offering him any SpEd services.

How is a child who is in 3rd grade (and has already been retained once), learning at Kinder level, and has a disability NOT eligible???

Any wise IEP'ers out there have a clue?
    Ellen

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I think it depends on Cognitive testing-if the child is below average orhas low average IQ than they are saying he is where he should be IMHO. However if he has LD cannot provide services that way-does he currently get any support in that area?

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

He currently gets NO support services at all. He's in my regular ed classroom and I'm supposed to grade him based on grade-level standards. Needless to say, he's not meeting the standards.
    Ellen

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default From my knowledge..

to me that would mean that his learning level is withing normal limits of his ability to learn (IQ level). All of that testing stuff is confusing to me though. When my dd did her testing, she had an IQ of 123 ( at least--LD's can lower IQ scores) and her learning level, although way below grade level turned out to be 110. Because of the spread between her IQ and actual learning level, she qualified for services. I think you'd have to see his scores on testing to figure it out.

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Oh poor guy. I would guess that his IQ is on the low side, however, you would think that would qualify him for services anyway.

Unbelievable. I would explore further if you are comfortable with doing so.

Suzi, How is "learning level" assessed? We have a normal IQ and it is suspected that his IQ might actually be considerably higher because of some issues we are sorting out that may be lowering his IQ.

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I'd have to go back and look at the exact tests...

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyLM
    Suzi, How is "learning level" assessed? We have a normal IQ and it is suspected that his IQ might actually be considerably higher because of some issues we are sorting out that may be lowering his IQ.

when we had dd privately evaluated, she went through a 2 day battery of tests. From that they got her IQ and on what level she was learning. I'll see if I can find that testing and I"ll post back.

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Wow that is so strange. Around here the discrepancy is what they look for and they often look for a 3 year gap. Isn't it really 4 years when you count in he did K twice? I would talk to them privately to see what their thinking is. If I was his parents I would be going ballistic.

karen

kec is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by jeninnc
    Oh poor guy. I would guess that his IQ is on the low side, however, you would think that would qualify him for services anyway.

Unbelievable. I would explore further if you are comfortable with doing so.
    I would think this also. In my district, there has to be a 20 point difference between IQ and performance. If the child has a low IQ and low skills, they are not eligible for spec ed. It is so sad because then the only services they get are 20 minutes of basic skills a day. I have a child in my kindergarten class like this now. He was declassified as preschool disabled. He has struggled all year in K which has caused major behavior problems. I really worry about him going to 1st grade.
    I feel so bad for these kids that fall through the cracks.
    Kari

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by danellsar
    Where I work, I have a student (in 3rd grade). He has a learning disability. He also has a psychiatric problem for which he takes meds and regularly sees a psychiatrist. Due to his LD and a few other factors, his learning level is at least 3 years below grade level.

The email I got this morning from the Special Ed teacher said that he has no "discrepancy" between his achievement and ability, so they will NOT be offering him any SpEd services.

How is a child who is in 3rd grade (and has already been retained once), learning at Kinder level, and has a disability NOT eligible???

Any wise IEP'ers out there have a clue?
    Ellen
    my guess is they the school system wants to id him as a behavoir problem and move him to an alternative school. this prevents their schools test averages from being affected which affects funds given and property values etc. at least that is the case for my school district. the only way to truly get proper services for non visible disabilities here is to hire an advocate and/or attny. hugs