Thread: Not thrilled about the Dev Ped.

TaraWB is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Not thrilled about the Dev Ped.

Im, not too thrilled about our appt with the Dev Ped yesterday. We waited 3mos for this appt. The Dr took a history from me and then spoke to my son for 2 minutes and that was it. I had to ask what he thought and he said “Well I’m concerned that I can’t understand one word he says. Let’s get him a full audio workup and we will go from there” BG: My ds is 4 and most of his speech is echolalia. Although in the past 2 months there has been huge improvement in spontaneous conversation. We can only understand about 50% of his speech. I also addressed his sensory and physical issues, but Ped did not seem interested. Am I expecting too much from this doctor?

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Well, if your ds was int he room while the history was taken, maybe your son was being observed? If not, I agree 2 minute assessment is not enough. Push for more dx or tx plan. Let us know

My DS was seen by a developmental ped, and when I brought up his severe expressive speech delay, the first thing out of the dev peds mouth was about his hearing. Apparently the dev ped didn't hear what I was saying that I never saw any issues with his hearing, and that he understood everything I said.

Speaking from experience with DS, the first thing that they want to do is rule out any sort of hearing issues, which will affect almost every other issue (speech, behavioral). It is beyond frustrating when you wait so long for an appointment, and then the dev ped acts like he doesn't want to listen to what you have to say.

Hope that things get worked out quickly.

Molly

Laura H1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by TaraWB
    Im, not too thrilled about our appt with the Dev Ped yesterday. We waited 3mos for this appt. The Dr took a history from me and then spoke to my son for 2 minutes and that was it. I had to ask what he thought and he said “Well I’m concerned that I can’t understand one word he says. Let’s get him a full audio workup and we will go from there” BG: My ds is 4 and most of his speech is echolalia. Although in the past 2 months there has been huge improvement in spontaneous conversation. We can only understand about 50% of his speech. I also addressed his sensory and physical issues, but Ped did not seem interested. Am I expecting too much from this doctor?
    Not expecting too much... some of these doctors have TERRIBLE bedside manners... BUT, I wouldn't rule him out as a good doctor for treating/overseeing your child's care, yet... I'm hoping this is one of those doctor's who does this so much that he really does have a good game plan in mind (he truly is an expert), and just lacks the appropriate courtesy to spell it out for parents of his patients... it completely sucks getting a doctor that makes you feel like cattle, though... (I haven't found this to be uncommon, though)

the upside is that once you wait forever for that first appointment, usually follow-up appointments are much easier to get... you are finally and officially "in"...

so go through the couple of hoops he puts you through and see what happens... if your mommy instincts are telling you he's not helping enough, move on...

(((hugs))) and hang in there a bit longer....
    Laura