Thread: Well this is interesting, just got off the phone

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Well this is interesting, just got off the phone

with Jacob's SpEd teacher. She was observing him at his community preschool today. She said he was amazing. She said it was a massive improvement and in fact the best day she has seen all year.

His community preschool teachers said today was a great day too.

The only change I made was to change his breakfast. I removed the soy veggie sausage he was eating for breakfast and replaced it with 2 eggs. Today I also gave him a different type of chewing gum before school that had no food dye in it. Hummmmm....

I wonder if this change is connected to MSG, a soy allergy, food dye, all or none of the above. But something changed.

I guess I'll just have to keep watching him carefully and see if it continues. I have never heard the SpEd teacher talk so nicely about Jacob before. She had no criticisms of him at all today. Oh well except the nose picking. She wants me to start using saline with him because his nose must be dry. No kidding. Is she going to try to get it in him because I can't.

Wow!!! I'll keep you all posted.
    karen

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Awesome!

Good Job! I am proud of you. Keep it up. My guess is the soy, but who knows!

Susan

Thats my guess too. But as soon as he came home from school its been pretty bad. I guess its the hold it together at school and then relax with family problem.
    karen

anniemc2000 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Wow that's great

It's so hard to pinpoint what makes our kids tick....but it sounds like you're onto a couple of things that could help.
    Take care,
    Ann

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default That's so interesting! Well, the detective work will

begin! I know a lot of kids react to red dye (mine included - she gets hives, and it's in everything including antibiotics!)...

Hope you can get some answers. Wouldn't life be easy if it was simply a diet issue?

Hugs Karen! N

Yes and No He gets random hives and rashes besides the behavior stuff but we have never been able to really identify what causes the hives and rashes. He also has allergy shiners around his eyes all the time but when we had him tested last time he was negative to everything.

The hunt for more answers begins.
    karen

JulieATL is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Sherlock Mom, you may be onto something...m

It will interesting to see if this improvement continues over several days with the veggie sausage eliminated. For the teacher to notice a marked difference, it really sounds like he's reacting to something biological and that allergies could be playing a huge part in his extreme impulsivity.

Also, I did read your last post about the toilet seat, and I had also responded to an earlier post regarding your frustration with dh not wanting to get ADHD testing for Jacob. I should have read everything before I responded to the ADHD posting. I had used descriptions like somewhat unfocused and distracted, but I didn't realize how impulsive he was as well. I still think the testing will be very useful, but I apologize for minimizing the extent of ds's behavior.

Whether it is ADHD or not, it will be a combination of a lot of things that will help him. Evaluation, learning strategies, behavior mod, teaching impulse control, elimination diet, possible med intervention, either supplement or drugs. But it won't be just one thing. You do need to have the whole picture.

But I'm really glad that you've seen some improvement. I think we're onto something here........

- Julie