Thread: How do you feel about multiage classrooms for SpEd kids.

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default How do you feel about multiage classrooms for SpEd kids.

Or even for all kids really.

Lets say a K-1 class. To review: Jacob (age 5 next month) has a label of developmental delay in attention and social skills. He currently gets services in a special education classroom 4 afternoons a week as well as attending his community preschool 5 mornings a week. At his IEP meeting he was give 15 hours of services a week which is fantastic. Part of that will be 1.5 hours of social skill training. Another thing they recommended was putting him in a multiage classroom so there are older students for him to try and emulate.

I can see the advantages for a child with social skill issues who is in Kindergarten but I can't see why I would want him in that class again the following year. In theory he would grow a lot and be a positive role model in 1st grade but he tends to mimic the behavior of who ever is acting the worst in the classroom at that time. His SpEd class already is multiaged and he has problems modeling the 3 yr olds behaviors.

I just can't get my head around the idea of a multiaged classroom being good for him. Also what if he doesn't do well with the teacher? What if there is/are student(s) in the class that really set him off, they would be together for 2 years.

I just don't know what to do. The choice is up us.
    karen

Default Sounds like we're kind of in the same boat

DS's classroom is K-1 too with kids being together for those years. As much as DS likes to be a leader, I know he will mimic behavior big time, especially of the older kids.

Would Jacob go into 2nd grade then after he gets done with these two years? They were evasive about that with us, saying that some kids do and some don't. My concern is holding back DS too much as I know he's academically ready and I want him challenged. I know the true (multi-age) K class is two years. I think this is different in our school. Other than being offered services and having a longer day, I think the curriculum is the same as all kindergarten classes.

I agree with you though. What is the advantage of having our kids as 6/7 yr olds in that same class? DS's preschool wasn't multi-age so I'm not sure how that would work. Our case manager did say that, for up to age 7 or so, this really works out fine but didn't elaborate.

These are all questions I have too. I'll be eager to see your responses.

Some with me. They said its better but can't back it up. He would definitely go to 2nd grade after k-1. I never even thought about holding him back. He is on or above grade level for Pre-K. That sounds funny.

I am actually a 1st and 2nd grade teacher and I don't get it. How bad is that? I've even been in schools that have had k-1 and still am not on board. I've seen it in action and I just don't see the benefit.

I'm curious what others with older kids have to say.
    karen

anniemc2000 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Is it a 2 year commitment?

The reason I ask is because Y was in the 3-4 yo integrated preschool class last year and started this year with the 3-4 yo class because she has a September bday and did not make the cutoff. In October, her teacher and the sped team called us in and asked that we move her to the 4-5 yo class. They felt she was stagnating in the younger class, and would do better with having to keep up socially and attention wise with the older kids. It actually was a tough decision to make logistically as both my girls get out of public schools at the same time, but across town, but we wanted to do what was best for her.
    I am wondering if there would be any flexibility with your arrangement if you felt it was not working into the second year?
    Good Luck!
    Ann

That is my biggest concern - year 2 (1st grade). I just sent the special education teacher who was at Jacob's IEP and observed him a whole bunch of questions pretty much just like you posed. I'll let you know.

thanks
    karen

Default Both our kids have been in that situation.

In Montessori school and our charter school. They mix the ages. We found it good for both kids. I think it depends on the teacher and the curriculum.

FYI: They were also in mixed classes with some spec. ed., some main stream and some gifted. It worked out well for us.

Charlotte

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default The girls are in a

montessori school and it is pre-k/K, 1st - 3rd and 4th-5th. So far it is working very well for us since if they need to progress farther than their grade they can and the leader to the younger children works pretty well for them. The main problem I have is that Sierra mimic's the older children and I end up with some trouble since they are not all what I would call leaders.

Overall I like it but I can see your concerns with it too.

Susan

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Well in the county in GA I live in the Special Ed 3-5 year olds have several different classrooms depending on need, but they are all 3-5. Most kiddos by age 5 are usually "mainstreamed" into pre-k or kinderfarten classes with either community services or Resource.

My older ds was in special ed pre-k from 3 til age 5. He was ins ame classroom for 2 years than at age 4 mainstreamed into regular pre-k but recieved community ST, OT and speical instruction. I think of the age range as close to what regular classrooms now often contain. For example in older ds mainstream 2nd grade class there is a 9 year old with September b'day and than some kids who are still 7 and will not turn 8 til July/August.

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlc
    Or even for all kids really.

Lets say a K-1 class. To review: Jacob (age 5 next month) has a label of developmental delay in attention and social skills. He currently gets services in a special education classroom 4 afternoons a week as well as attending his community preschool 5 mornings a week. At his IEP meeting he was give 15 hours of services a week which is fantastic. Part of that will be 1.5 hours of social skill training. Another thing they recommended was putting him in a multiage classroom so there are older students for him to try and emulate.

I can see the advantages for a child with social skill issues who is in Kindergarten but I can't see why I would want him in that class again the following year. In theory he would grow a lot and be a positive role model in 1st grade but he tends to mimic the behavior of who ever is acting the worst in the classroom at that time. His SpEd class already is multiaged and he has problems modeling the 3 yr olds behaviors.

I just can't get my head around the idea of a multiaged classroom being good for him. Also what if he doesn't do well with the teacher? What if there is/are student(s) in the class that really set him off, they would be together for 2 years.

I just don't know what to do. The choice is up us.
    karen

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE them....did i say i loved them?? K was the only year ds was not in a MAP. it was his worst year. while his class this year isnt a MAP (only b.c its not offered), they do teach differently than a public school. about 1/2 his class is doing 2nd and 3rd grade work in 1st grade. so it is kinda a MAP unofficially.

the school my friends and i are founding is going to be a MAP approach btw. hugs