Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My child who HATED water for the

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default My child who HATED water for the

first 3.5 years of her life had an absolute blast on vacation (this was at the great wolf lodge).

I wanted to cry everytime she went down the slides.

OT saved us from a life of sadness. And now she has been released by our OT - who says everytime I see her that she wished she had video'd Ellie before and after. She would have made the perfect research paper.

What awesome pictures! Kudos to your OT and ot you for all of your hard work. These pics are so inspiring!

By the way, is Great Wolf the place in the Poconos? I have heard great things about it but have never been.

Lisa

Please tell us some of your success story. I know I could use it! We are about to re-start OT in a few weeks for some overall sensory integration - but specifically vestibular. We also have some tactile defensiveness going on and some visual & auditory processing.

Quote Originally Posted by LandB
    What awesome pictures! Kudos to your OT and ot you for all of your hard work. These pics are so inspiring!

By the way, is Great Wolf the place in the Poconos? I have heard great things about it but have never been.

Lisa
    This was the Williamsburg one. However, my dad was in charge of all elevators in the one in the Poconos and said it was awesome. I highly recommend it and they were great about working with Ellie (special foods, and she would not wear the required bracelet!)

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyLM
    Please tell us some of your success story. I know I could use it! We are about to re-start OT in a few weeks for some overall sensory integration - but specifically vestibular. We also have some tactile defensiveness going on and some visual & auditory processing.
    Ellie had huge SI problems. She was over-responsive to most touch, taste, smell and noise. She would either shut down or try to flee the situation. It was miserable taking her anywhere - I usually just stayed home with her.

We did intensive OT for a year - two times a week, then once a week and then finally every two weeks. We got to an OT gym so most of it was physical input. Lots of swinging, crashing, jumping, using pictures for organization, but most importantly brushing to desensitize her. It worked like a charm.

We also do listening therapy which helped a lot with her vestibular sensitivities.

Glad to hear it worked so well for her. When did you/do you do the brushing? Is this the arms/legs brushing along with joint compressions? I may have more questions for you in the future, if you don't mind.

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Pretty sure it's my computer

but I can't see your pics. I'll check when I go back to work but wanted to say

Susan

Default Awesome!!

I know how you feel. We've had DS (5) in pvt. OT for about 2 yrs and in PS as well for the last year. I really see him turning a corner. He was like your DD - very hypersensitive. Still, we don't know if he'll walk on sand barefoot this year. Over the past year he's made such strides though and I understand your feeling of bursting with joy. When DS finally went down one of those inflatable slides, I nearly died! Since then, he's come such a long way and all I have to do is remind him of when he was scared but tried something anyway. It usually works and he can't get enough of it then!

So happy for you. I may ask you about Listening Therapy. My OT mentioned The Listening Program for DS's distractibility. Sounds like it worked well for you.

Congrats!

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Your post gave me a big smile! those photos are great! Wow, what a great recovery!

Amazing results!!!

yay!

-angi

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Love the pics of her having fun So glad she was able to enjoy the water-I know it was a hgue deal!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast