Thread: Had a meeting with the play therapist

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Had a meeting with the play therapist - good news - amazing news actually

Hi,
    had a meeting with Ella's LCSW play therapist today about her.

She said that she thinks Ella is "GIFTED."

Everything else floated past our ears....as us two goofballs sat on her couch smiling big. Every time we go to a doctor we hear a lot of negative stuff....you all know what i mean i am sure....nobody ever says anything that makes us proud at these meetings.

but this woman said that dd is very intelligent and gifted. We were BEAMING.

good gawed.

we were smiling and laughing all of the way out of there, and for hours afterwards. hehe

(until we got to the end of the day which is another posting about what would you do?)

-angi
    Last edited by angeleena; 05-03-2008 at 03:14 AM.

Oh, Angi, that's really great to hear! I can't tell you how wonderful it is to be able, once they get to a certain age, to start focusing on their strengths rather than their weaknesses and issues all the time. That's what's happening with both my kids who have had significant issues. We ended up having dd tested, and that helped a lot both with knowing that she is gifted and addressing her weak areas (vision processing, sensory processing, etc.) that were impacting her academically. We haven't had ds tested yet, but he's even more extreme, in both strengths and weaknesses, than dd.

I'm sorry about what's going on with the school. The teacher's apparent attitude toward a very perceptive child can be a critical factor in any school scenario. I agree with the responses on your other post that you should have a chat with the director as soon as you have come up with some concrete things to say. Is there a possibility of switching to another teacher? Personalities aside, so far (knock on wood!!) we have had great luck with our montessori school - somehow each of my kids ended up with a teacher who suits them, and my boys in preschool have been allowed to progress academically, which is really nice. ds's teacher has taken a great interest in special needs kids, to the point of going to conferences on the subject, etc., and said she loves having him in the class because even though he rarely talks, she can use him as a great example to the other kids by pointing to how far he has gotten with math. Other ds's teacher would probably not have been as great with the special needs scenario, but she is great with that ds, and even noticed his problem of underachieving relative to his abilities, which she is working on. As an educational method, montessori is about as close to perfect as we're going to get. Not surprising since it was originally designed to deal with a special needs population. Also, my kids are very visual-spatial learners and the method works wonderfully for that as well. None of this matters, however, if the teacher isn't right - I hope for Ella's sake you are able to talk to the school and work something out!!! Even in a large city with a lot of school choices, it can be very difficult to find the right school for a smart kid with issues.

By the way, as you may or may not know, issues are common among gifted kids. So much so that there's a term for them coined by someone named Dabrowski - overexcitabilities ("OE"). The bad news is that if Ella is gifted, you may have a long road ahead of you academically, trying to figure out what the right path is educationally. The good news is that you've dealt with so much already that I know you're going to be a wonderful advocate for her!

Now that you are beginning to get a clearer picture of her strengths (which will only get clearer over time), not only does it make life with her all the more joyful and your work with her all the more rewarding, but she will pick up on that feeling and can hopefully feel prouder of herself. From what I have read, the key is to praise effort rather than result, though that brings up a whole host of other topics for another day. When ds started to reveal what he could do with numbers (which really just happened over the past six months; he just turned 5), I think the reactions of others (teacher, and us) really gave him a self-confidence boost.

Here's a few random links you may be interested in:
    http://www.stephanietolan.com/dabrowskis.htm
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/dabrowski.htm (there are lots of interesting links on this page to explore; consider how this theory might apply to your dd)
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/social_emotional.htm
    http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/Wha...d/characgt.htm

-beth

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default What a great post

I love the way you relate it too. Not just as her being gifted but as some wonderful, positive news.

Focusing on strengths, I love that!

Susan

AWESOME!!!!

It feels great when we hear something Positive about our kids.
    Congrats
    LM

Default Wonderful to get a compliment!

And, as you know, she is very smart! Smile all you want!