Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yeah! I can finally post! vision therapy....

Default Yeah! I can finally post! vision therapy....

Ok, what is the good, the bad, and the ugly, when it comes to vision therapy. My Sarah just had her OT eval done for her hand writing. I posted on the parenting school age BB a little about it. We are doing some sensory stuff at home this month. She is getting brushed, spun, jumping, and doing her homework on an exercise ball. Watching her looking at her paper to try to write is painful. She gets her head in a very unnatrual angle. So since I am going to have to totally pay out of pocket for vision therapy, I am wondering if it is worth it. Will we see results? I know each kid is very different, which makes this hard. I am not sure OT by itself is going to get us too far. Even her OT suggested a behavioral vision exam.

kiki w/ Sarah 4-5-00 and Nicholas 1-16-02

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I have my 7 year old in OT right now for handwriting and low tone. She scored well visually so we aren't doing it, but we are doing listening therapy.

I pay out of pocket for all OT, so I feel your pain

Jen

(Ellie -4 autism and SID, Lacey - 7 - low tone)

Default We did vision therapy...

We did vision therapy when my DS was in the first grade. We did a program thru University of California at Berkeley, School of Optometry. The first program was 14 weeks long with daily at-home excersises and an office appointment once a week. After testing he did another 6 week program.

The good.... it "paid" off so to speak as we did see improvement at home and in the class room. Also he was re-tested and the 1 and 2 year marks and it all "held".

The bad... most vision insurance companies do not cover it, so it is out of pocket. Also it can be hard to find a dr. that knows what they are doing... esp. with kids!

The ugly... it can be very time and energy consuming. We had to work with our DS for an hour each day and for a then 6 yr old, it was hard to focus. there were many days that we both were in tears!

-Robin

Ditto to everything Robin said. It was a lot of work on a daily basis, and often quite a struggle, but it was worth it for our first grader as well. She is reading much better now. We recently finished a six-month program of once per week visits plus 5 days of homework.

To find the right kind of optometrist, see www.covd.org

good luck!!

Default We just decided to do it and not question it

Our first grader is different, visually, in that he reads well beyond 1st grade, has perfect penmanship, and is an excellent artist. However, he can't catch a ball, and is slow with copying skills, has some eye tracking and teaming deficits, and we were told that he should do vision therapy. We believe it's just one of those things we have to do for him - we are about 2/3 of the way through the program and it is helping him. Takes a while to see results and you do have to be very dedicated. It's also expensive but, again, we just aren't questioning it.

Default We did it in kindergarten...

Quote Originally Posted by kikih
    Ok, what is the good, the bad, and the ugly, when it comes to vision therapy. My Sarah just had her OT eval done for her hand writing. I posted on the parenting school age BB a little about it. We are doing some sensory stuff at home this month. She is getting brushed, spun, jumping, and doing her homework on an exercise ball. Watching her looking at her paper to try to write is painful. She gets her head in a very unnatrual angle. So since I am going to have to totally pay out of pocket for vision therapy, I am wondering if it is worth it. Will we see results? I know each kid is very different, which makes this hard. I am not sure OT by itself is going to get us too far. Even her OT suggested a behavioral vision exam.

kiki w/ Sarah 4-5-00 and Nicholas 1-16-02
    It made an astonishing difference -- DD went from having all the phonics skills to read but not reading to reading overgrade level. Her problem was convergence insufficiency. We did several sessions with the therapist, then bought a very expensive computer program for home exercises. It was NOT fun -- DD fought it every step of the way. She is probably trying to compensate for the vision problems by contorting herself -- my DD would look away from the page when she tried to read because she was seeing double.

I am such a fan of what the therapy did for DD that our optometrist wants to use our story in her promo materials. And she likes to point out that 90% of your brain is used to process visual information -- if you overcome the vision problems, other things might fall into place.

Good luck,

Amy

Default This sounds a lot like my girl....

She reads well above her 2nd grade, gets the harder spelling list every week and miss not a one. However, her hand writing is bad, and she pretty much missed every one of the trace from dot to dot on her motor test. Catching and running is pretty ugly too. Glad it is helping you all though. I think we will take this on starting in June. I am going to give OT alone a one month trial.

Thanks, kiki w/ Sarah 4-5-00 and Nicholas 1-16-02

Kiki. I want to respond to your post but right now I'm getting ready to go to a vision therapy appointment for my dd. I will try to post more later. All I can say right now is that vision therapy, while expensive, has saved my dd from certain disaster in so many ways. It's time consuming but worth every penny.

Paula

JulieATL is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default No advice, just a big welcome.....m

You've already gotten some great feedback on vision therapy and if you decide to do it, sounds like it could be a great thing.

Good luck, and keep us posted and I'm glad you're here.

- Julie

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Hi Kiki! Welcome glad you made it here!

I know you'll get support here!

Hugs! Nancy and Leela 3/02

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast