Thread: I am really very worried about Morgan.

Default I am really very worried about Morgan.

I tend to be the worry wart in the family, so I tried to not be too worried over this until DH told me yesterday that he is concerned. Morgan LOVES strawberry Shortcake, although she is terrified of the movies (most shows actually). For the last month and a half, she has called herself Gingersnap. I am no longer Mom, for the most part, I am strawberry. DH is Huckleberry Pie. And my mom is Angel Cake. Our dog Chloe is Pupcake. Our kitty is now custard. It's really very cute. However, Morgan will not WILL NOT respond to her name. She completely ignores any attempt to get her attention by her name. But the second you say Gingersnap, she full participes. If she calls me "strawberry" and I say "yes Morgan" she just repeats "strawberry" over and over again until I call her gingersnap. She repeats word for word most of her strawberry shortcake DVD's, and really seems to be sinking away into... for lack of a better word... strawberry land. Today I asked her her name, which she knows and can spell it, and all she said was "gingersnap." I explained to her that Gingersnap is make believe but Morgan is real and unique and beautiful. Then I asked her name again and she started crying and said, "I dont know". :o(
    Her docs not in until Wednesday, which I intend to call first thing. but wanted your thoughts. Is this just an amazing imagination or is something really going wrong here?
    Thanks.
    Love,
    Tonya

Tonya, I lean toward thinking that this is *good* news, because clearly she has a fertile imagination! The one thing that gave me pause was her crying when you asked her name a second time. But I think that unless your doctor tells you otherwise, you should feel good about this. I remember reading on BB2002 about little ones who insisted that they were puppies for weeks on end, and other stuff that was perfectly typical for their age!

I've been meaning to ask you: have you gone through the genetic testing you were thinking about?

Lisa

Default Yes, I forgot to update.

All is 100% fine genetically. Her pediatrician thinks that she is autism spectrum, and wants us to go see a different team of doctors. So, waiting for insurance to come thru on that.

Default Well....

I would certainly ask the doctor about it.
    My dd (on the spectrum) has a really good imagination and has, in the past, often become zoo animals...and you would be totally convinced that she is a zoo animal. She has never done it for that length of time, however. She is 7 now...she will still become obsessed with a certain idea that she gets on a TV show or in school etc. and it will take a couple of days sometimes for her to bounce back.
    Good luck. Let us know what the doctor says.
    LM

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Hi Tonya....

I can totally understand why you would be concerned because I went through something similar. Sierra dressed up like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz for a full 6 months every day. She wore her hair in braids, blue dresses and red sparkly shoes and carried Toto in a basket. She pranced along like Dorothy and always tried to act like her. Did you know that Dorothy is such a whiner?! She had me calling her Dorothy all the time as well.

Then, after that, she acted like a dog all the time.

Anyway, she did get it out of her system and usually acts like herself now although she was totally annoyed with me over the weekend because I could not remember to call her Sabrina (one of the Cheetah Girls).

Anyway, I would be worried about her not knowing her name and this is bringing up a memory that is down too deep for me to get it right now but it was about Savanna and her not knowing stuff that she should have known. I think it is good to talk to the doc about it but I would lean to the side of wonderful active imagination and role playing.

HUGS!!

Susan

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Oh yes....for us it was Dora.

However it wasn't to such an extreme. It'll be interesting to hear what the doctor says. Obsession and autism go hand in hand.

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default This Goes On At Our House Constantly

We have been told it is part of a great imagination and then also told some it seems obsessive.

My girl is often a horse with baby horses in her belly. There are 4 boys and 5 girls! (horses!)

Otherwise she is a dog, usually a mommy dog with, 4 boy puppies and 3 girl puppies in her belly.

She crawls around like a dog or horse and sounds jus tlike either. Drives us nuts when she will not stop.

She comes and tells me whenever the scenario changes...."mommy, I am going to be a baby horse with a daddy now...." or whatever and she goes off pretending to be whatever and it goes on and on.

I think it is a good sign for your daughter though. It sounds like she is thinking, dreaming, and pretending. I would ask the doc about not remembering her name. I think that ella would just say that if she wnted to be called something else.

YOu are doing a good job taking care of your girl. I just wanted to say that.

Angi

Well, I just took Boots the Monkey (you know--Dora's friend) to swim class last night. He was in a seatbelt in the backseat of my van. Ian went through a long phase where he called himself Alex and we don't even know an Alex. Ian has a great imagination and right now it all has to do with Dora and Diego. We went to bed the other night with Benny the Cow in bed with him.

I would not stress, too much. I try to take it as a phase but I insist on calling Ian by his name. I recommend just using her name as you would and gently deal with her imagination. Hugs I don't have any better suggestions. Just know you are not alone.

Jen

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I just wanted to chime in that my dd was a puppy for the longest time. She crawled around, she barked, etc. Her greatest joy at age 5 was that I made her a very realistic golden retriever costume for Halloween. She wore it to shreds.
    Ellen

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Just now seeing this. Holt goes through extreme phases-past two weeks he has been a cat. Before that it was a dog. I am glad you are getting another set of drs-I hope you can get some support and reassurance.

hugs