Thread: We're noticing some tic-like stuff with our SID son

Default We're noticing some tic-like stuff with our SID son

Can anyone shed any light on this for us? Our son with pretty significant SID has started some "twitches" for lack of a better term. This is the latest puzzling thing for us. Anyone with experience on this sort of thing that could help us learn what may be going on? Thank you.

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Hi. My older son Grant who is 9 today has possible Tourettes dx by Dev. Pedi. He does a lot of sounds, head, face movements. I would video tape what you see, wait a couple of weeks, than take him to his Dr. if you still see them or they increase.

Wendy

amelia1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I second what trek said. My DD has spd and also has a tic disorder(waiting for the official Tourette's dx). Some kids have a transient tic disorder that goes away almost as quickly as it came on. If the tics persist, then I would move on to the pedi neurologist.

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

My friend's son has both SID and Tourettes - the SID came first and he developed Tourettes later. Do you have a developmental pediatrician?

He does well on medication for it.

jeninnc - Do you know what med he's on?

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

We were just talking about this today at the parents group I went to. There are a number of things that have "co-morbidity", which means they often go together. Many kids who are on the autism spectrum also have tourette's. In fact, the clinic where we are attending does work with tourette's as well as ASD kids. I would agree with others to see a developmental ped.
    Ellen

Restless is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default My son's tics were stressed induced

once we figured out what was stressing him out, the tics disappeared. It was pretty scarey though...

Julie L is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default My son had tics/possible Tourettes (m) ...

First, take a deep breath! I was so irrational and hysterical when it started, I don't know how I even functioned! There is a high level of co-morbidity (co-existence) with other conditions. My ds has ADHD and very mild OCD. These conditions are all inter-related. We took ds too many Drs. and first, but he never had tics in the office. Of course the Drs. believed us, but it wasn't until they saw video that we had taken (we showed it to them right on our camcorder) that they really understood what had been happening.

DS has been on medication for 2 years for the tics, and they are virtually non-existant. He only has tics now when he is very tired and/or stressed, and they are so mild, that only dh and I even notice. He is on clonidine, which is typically a blood pressure medication. However, a supplemental usage for the drug is for tics/ADHD, and it has been amazing for us. In the beginning, the drug made him tired, but after his body got used to it, there were no side effects at all.

Hope this helps!
    Julie

Please tell me more about how you figured things out. We're seeing a developmental ped now, and she thinks they are anxiety-related and we're working on ways to decrease anxiety but it's such a big thing to figure out completely. Seems like quite significant anxiety if it's developing tics. Really something to figure out.

My son has transient tics. Right now he blinks/squints his eyes. It is related to anxiety. I don't believe my son has ts but he does likely have as. It used to be throat clearing. These start as reactions to allergies and then become habit. The doc isn't worried at this point.