Thread: Letting go...(venting)

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Letting go...(venting)

Ellie's doing great. Really. We did 2 years of intensive therapy and it worked for her.

Do you feel like you are always on edge around your SN kid? I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

She's playing soccer. I spend every soccer practice/game on the edge of my seat. Waiting for the shoe to drop. My other dd's practice - I sit and chat with the moms, and have fun watching her.

She's in K. I spend the whole time in the carpool line nervous to see how her day went. Waiting for that shoe to drop. It never does.

She adapted so well to having the cast - she adapts so well to life lately. I wonder where the old Ellie went and if she will come back. I guess I need to learn how to deal with the new and improved Ellie.

I know this is a weird vent, but I feel like everybody (even dh) looks at me like I am crazy and overprotective because they have forgoten how truely awful it used to be.

amelia1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I think it's natural to feel like....this is too good to be true and worrying if the "old" Ellie will come back. Must feel like you've lost a part of Ellie to the new and improved Ellie. I'm sure there is a mourning period(for lack of a better term) to go along with that.

I understand the feeling, however, for us it's still pretty challenging. You remark about how awful you remember it *used to be*. Oh, how I wish that were us! How did you get from awful to today? We've done OT to help with our son's sensory issues, but he's 7 and I worry that we missed the boat, so to speak, on receptiveness to therapies.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyLM
    How did you get from awful to today? .
    2 years ago I basically couldn't leave the house with Ellie. It was awful. She was so sensitive to the world and it was miserable to be out in it.

We did intensive OT and ST (started at 3x a week) for two years. We also did RDI (Autism therapy).

I fully believe it was the OT that helped her most. We did a full sensory diet for her at home. We also did theraputic listening and I feel that gave her tremendous benefit.

I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining! It's a weird feeling though.

About therapeutic listening; we tried it a year ago and our son was so sensitive to it that he just didn't tolerate it. Big tantrums within an hour or so of listening and we just couldn't continue it. When we stopped the listening therapy the tantrums stopped but he didn't do it enough to get a therapeutic benefit from it. We may try it again - our OT recommends it - but we're afraid of it because of the reaction we had to it a year ago.
    Did you do RDI with a therapist or just within your family? I have their DVD.

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

JENI~It warms my hear to hear how well Ellie is doing now. I know you have struggled.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyLM
    About therapeutic listening; we tried it a year ago and our son was so sensitive to it that he just didn't tolerate it. Big tantrums within an hour or so of listening and we just couldn't continue it. When we stopped the listening therapy the tantrums stopped but he didn't do it enough to get a therapeutic benefit from it. We may try it again - our OT recommends it - but we're afraid of it because of the reaction we had to it a year ago.
    Did you do RDI with a therapist or just within your family? I have their DVD.
    We have an RDI therapist who is also a SLP.

We had to do a lot of our first TL sessions at the OT's - while she was swinging, bouncing etc. After that, we could do it at home. It was a long process, though, getting her used to the headphones and accepting the stimulation of the music. I remember it being awful at first.

Quote Originally Posted by trek
    JENI~It warms my hear to hear how well Ellie is doing now. I know you have struggled.
    thanks. She truely amazes me everyday.

I think of you often, Wendy and admire how you go on through all your struggles.

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I am glad to read that she is doing so well.

I totally know what you mean about waiting for the other shoe to drop. Right now we are in a good cycle, so I am waiting for the bad one to come.:0

It sounds like you hopefully are done with the bad. Good job getting her the help she needed!!!

Angi

Val. is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

That's a good thing for you.

I feel the same way. Of course, there are ups and downs, so we have periods of time when the shoe drops every afternoon at carpool. And times when I watch DS play hockey and realize that he is just a bit different. Last night at a b-day party for a two year old, I was watching these toddlers interact around the cooler and realized that my son, 6 years older, isn't nearly as social. HOWEVER, 99% of the time he's doing so well in all ways that it completely warms my heart. It's a process of letting go of the worry that accompanied so much of his early life....

Hugs,
    Val