Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Nation on White Privilege

Default but isn't that the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrel
    hmmmm....

Okay, frits. You want to know my position??? I'd say that if you read mbw's response, that pretty much sums up what I believe. In addition, I think that things like affirmative action is total crap. What do I think is "brown privilege"???...affirmative action is the first thing to come to mind. Employment should be based on ability, not the color of the skin. Maybe that only happens in a perfect world, but it shouldn't be forced on us. If I shout I'm proud to be white, I'd be labeled a racist...but if a black person shouts they are proud to be black it's okay... hmmmm.

I'm sure that makes me such a bad person now...oh no, what shall I do. I actually have an opinion that doesn't follow the liberals...oh no.
    Employment isn't based on just ability. I don't even know if it should be, the reality is that it isn't. It's based on lots of things and ability is only a piece of the picture and not even a necessarily big piece. White people *do* get hired because they are white and not black or brown or whatever and have for a very long time. Do we question all people holding jobs and say, 'were they the best qualified person to hold that job'? We don't, but we do ask that question when a black or a woman or someone that isn't male and white hold jobs or get into colleges. When we do something based on the race/sex of a person it might be thought to be racist/sexist.

While you may think that affirmative action is total crap it has gone a little way towards getting a bit of balance in the picture.

b

julied is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default But this is what seems like reverse racism/sexism....

Quote Originally Posted by freetibet
    . We don't, but we do ask that question when a black or a woman or someone that isn't male and white hold jobs or get into colleges. When we do something based on the race/sex of a person it might be thought to be racist/sexist.

b
    But I feel that "question" is thought because of AA....if we felt it was because the person interviewed the best or was the most qualified of the applicants, then I don't think we would ask the question. But since AA is in place and certain companies and organizations try to reach certain "quotas", I think it becomes totally natural to wonder....just like so many women with twins these days...I don't ask the question as it's none of my business, but when I know someone is pg and/or has twins, yep, you bet there's a little question wondering if it was due to IF treatment. We're all human.

I have a VERY good friend in the military whose DH is a full bird Colonel and is on the military fast-track....leaps and bounds and is promoted "below the zone" at every step. Now, he is a WONDERFUL leader - his subordinates love him, he keeps them motivated, he's level-headed, my DH deployed with him to war and we have the utmost respect for him, etc. I have no doubt that he will become a General and will advise a future President if he chooses to go that route. Yes, he's black. Now as much as I believe he DESERVES every promotion he's earned, it wouldn't surprise me if part of his fast-track career path had a little bit to do with his ethnicity. Think about it...He's a great leader, deserves his earned rewards AND he's black - it's like the Promotion Boards are just drooling to be able to promote him. If they're looking at 2 candidates who are pretty much equal in every area, his ethnicity will HELP him IMO. And I say, "Good for him". BUT - if was just another white male commander....get in line.....there's a whole slew of them. Same goes for women in the military, too. If you're good and your people respect you, I think you can do well.

I can see where we certainly needed AA back in the 50's and 60's....but I think now it sort of continues to manifest people into resenting special treatment based solely on the color of skin or gender. I just feel at some point if we would all just earn our way in the world it would break that down...Prove yourself as a woman and earn the respect....It's not cut and dry, I realize that. And I suppose maybe there's a larger percentage of people who end up being racist/sexist than I realize, but I just don't think we do ourselves any favors demanding special treatment. But I'm not an HR expert, so maybe I'm totally off base on all of this - it's just what my gut tells me.

I think we still need it now because we still discriminate based on skin and gender. If we could all 'just earn our way' life would be good and it would break down a lot of things. We can't because we can't see that doing a good job or getting a good education isn't based on skin/gender/culture.

We don't need special treatment, we need the same treatment that everyone else gets when that starts happening it will be a good day.

If it were a white guy you were talking about you wouldn't think that it had anything to do with ethnicity, even if it did. Even if it had a whole lot to do with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3