Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Debate?

nmcd is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Thoughts on the Debate?

Here's mine:

Neither candidate is really dealing with the economy sufficiently to the point where it's a bit unnerving

They have GOT to start answering questions directly without just resorting to sound bites - we still don't know what's going to happen to the first questioner whose savings are gone and who has now been told that social security is about to implode.

The idea McCain mentioned about the state buying mortgages is interesting but not exactly cutting back government. Mind you all Obama has to do is say it's a good idea then McCain has nothing.

All in all... I DO think the election is a side show, and I think we are all in for a very bumpy ride...

Jeannie is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

That's what was frustrating. My dh and I kept saying "answer the question!"

McCain was all over the map. He's raving about over spending and then in the next breath says he's going to buy up all the bad mortgages. Huh?

nmcd is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

He was also shuffling around in the background while Obama was speaking which was annoying, distracting and just felt weird, like one of those World's funniest Video moments when the Janitory wearing an Ipod doesn't notice that he's mopping up stage during a dance performance.

Jeannie is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I have to laugh. I am always more interested in the post mortem rather than the debate itself. So I was cruising the channels. PBS called it a tie and acknowledged that McCain needed a win. CBS and CNN were calling it a win for Obama with CNN in particular focusing on post debate polls that favored Obama by a wide margin. All three stations had people from both parties discussing the debate. Then I turned on Fox to find Hannity and Rove talking about how many points McCain scored. Not a liberal or a Democrat in site. No mention of polls. Just two guys talking about how great McCain did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie
    Then I turned on Fox to find Hannity and Rove talking about how many points McCain scored. Not a liberal or a Democrat in site. No mention of polls. Just two guys talking about how great McCain did.
    Really? Because I was watching Fox and they had Obama's campaign manager, and also had Claire McCaskill (D-Missouri) on talking about the debate. Also, several Republican's were on talking about their disappointment that McCain didn't go after Obama harder, especially about Ayers, ACORN, and other things.

maryellen is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I'll be the first to say it: I found the "that one" comment from McCain beyond offensive. It was so dismissive, so disrespectful... just awful. I hesitate to say it had a racist tone to it, but there are people who definitely see it that way. Not. Good.

McCain was in prime cranky old man form tonight.

As for what they actually said, I'm done with it. Let us vote already!

Quote Originally Posted by maryellen
    I'll be the first to say it: I found the "that one" comment from McCain beyond offensive. It was so dismissive, so disrespectful... just awful. I hesitate to say it had a racist tone to it, but there are people who definitely see it that way. Not. Good.

McCain was in prime cranky old man form tonight.

As for what they actually said, I'm done with it. Let us vote already!
    Would Obama have preferred being called "The One?" The pundits and their "racist overtone" business is so lame.

I am horrified at McCain's idea of buying up the mortgages. sigh . . .

ybab is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by maryellen
    OMG - wasn't that awful? My jaw just dropped and I ran in to my DH in the kitchen to share it with him b/c I literally couldn't believe it. Beyond offensive is right.

On another note, I don't understand why so many people are still undecided. I felt like I didn't learn anything new tonight. We've heard what the candidates have to say - decide already! I am really ready for it to be over. It's adding so much stress to our already stressful natl situation.

ybab is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by augie
    Would Obama have preferred being called "The One?" The pundits and their "racist overtone" business is so lame.

I am horrified at McCain's idea of buying up the mortgages. sigh . . .
    Well, I'm not ready to call it a racist comment, just extremely disrespectful. Did you think that was an appropriate way to refer to a fellow candidate? Not out to attack you - I'm just asking.

jordansmom is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Am I the only one who found the debate boring! I stopped watching midway through and dh went to bed.

Referring to Obama as 'that one' was very disrespectful and not called for in a presidential debate. Doubtful he meant it in a racist way but it sure evokes the emotions back in the day when AA's weren't talked about as people but as things.

But just to be fair and balanced with all the mudslinging and absurd connecting of the dots from the right I'll throw this in - perhaps he learned talking that way growing up on a plantation in the south

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast