Thread: SAHM...questions about daily life......

KOMOMMY Guest

Default SAHM...questions about daily life......

Hi everyone,

Not sure how many people have moved over here yet....took me awhile to adjust. Not loving the new format but I'm sure it will grow on us.

Anyway, a few questions for other SAHMs. I was planning on returning to work but being in real estate I just can't afford it so we are trying to make things work with me at home. I am loving being home with my girls, but also feeling like I am not doing enough. They are 17 months old and with winter and a very snowy season approaching I am realizing I'm going to need to be very creative soon to keep them busy.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions on books, websites or anything to help with ideas on what to be doing with them at this age. I feel like I have my hands full daily just feeding, cleaning, etc, but want so much more to be a better mom too....the constant struggle.

Also, on a separate issues....at what age do you start potty training? I'm sure I'm too early, but sure would love to save the diaper money!!!

Thanks,
    Jen
    Kate & Olivia 5-5-07

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

That was a hard age if I remember correctly. I would get them signed up for inexpensive gym classes at least once a week. I think we got some blowup climber/jumper thing for them to play in. Library time - even if you are the "librarian"

I'm sorry but I can't remember much. Hopefully those with younger twins will chime in.

Karen
    5 1/2 yr old twin dss
    4 1/2 yr old dd

Hollie_B is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by KOMOMMY
    Hi everyone,

Not sure how many people have moved over here yet....took me awhile to adjust. Not loving the new format but I'm sure it will grow on us.

Anyway, a few questions for other SAHMs. I was planning on returning to work but being in real estate I just can't afford it so we are trying to make things work with me at home. I am loving being home with my girls, but also feeling like I am not doing enough. They are 17 months old and with winter and a very snowy season approaching I am realizing I'm going to need to be very creative soon to keep them busy.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions on books, websites or anything to help with ideas on what to be doing with them at this age. I feel like I have my hands full daily just feeding, cleaning, etc, but want so much more to be a better mom too....the constant struggle.

Also, on a separate issues....at what age do you start potty training? I'm sure I'm too early, but sure would love to save the diaper money!!!

Thanks,
    Jen
    Kate & Olivia 5-5-07
    My girls are 6 months older, but close. I would start bringing in some play dough stuff to do in their boosters/high chairs, some of those crayons for toddlers if you're looking for creativity. I just started teaching pre-school and we follow the Itty Bitty Bookworm for this age group. She has a blog with lots of tips and ideas. I would also peg my local library for stuff, find the closest pet smart and come up with alternatives. I have been known to back my car out of the garage and let them do chalk in there or use their push toys, do bubbles, roll balls, etc. But my girls are pretty basic, they can spend all day cleaning and looking outside. Another thing that is helpful is that we eliminated the bonus/play room. They know have toys in the family room, the "den" and each of their rooms. They play with soooo much more stuff this way.

Good luck. This age is a blast!

This is my test reply in the new area!
    I think 18 mos was about the time we started "music school" which was a once-a-week, 40 min. little class with a very nice older woman who led singing, clapping, dancing, bouncing activities to music. We also started going to story time at the public library--although as I recall, we rarely lasted the whole time and generally left early. I am not a naturally organized, plan-ahead kind of person, but whole-heartedly recommend having a daily routine, as well as regular weekly activities. Kids really do so much better--knowing what to expect, and it will really free your mind up once you get stuff "scheduled." And don't give up those naps!!

As for potty-training, I personally would wait until warm weather in the spring, then put them out in the back yard with a potty seat and no pants--LOL!

Best to all,
    Sherry
    L & D 7.5 y/o (here's my b/g twins "hugging!")

Here is some stuff that we did:

- Gymboree 1x/week

- Story time at the library 1x/week

-Motor Room 1x/week...our park district had a "motor room" which was basically ride on toys, tricycles, balls, and a small climber that was open to kids 1-5 years old. Check around for something like that.

- At home "story time" every day

-Outdoor time...we did this even when it was cold.

- Extended bath tub play (when we couldn't go outside) w/shaving cream on the wall to draw with, toys, crayola bath tub tints to color the water, bubbles, etc.

- Dry bathtub play (at age 6 my kids still like this)...we wet cotton balls with a little water then they throw them at the wall & they stick (kind of like spitballs). We also bought some of those ball pit balls and put them in the bathtub or in laundry baskets and the kids would sit and play in them. Or I'd give them a wet washcloth and they'd wash the walls/door of the bathtub.

-Table time w/crayons. We also had these magnetic picture scenes that you could stick magnets on. We didn't do playdoh b/c one of my kids would eat it. But thinking back, I should have made the edible kind out of peanut butter. I also would do rice, beans or other sensory type thing in 9x13" pans for them to stick their hands in (though that usually ended up messy). These are choking hazards though, so you have to watch them carefully.

-Car time...would load them up and put on a kiddie CD while I ran errands like bank drive through, laundromat drive through, Walgreens drive through, Starbucks drive through (mommy time!) and any other drive through I could think of so I didn't have to haul them into a store.

-Puppet shows, songs, dancing, playing "band" with musical instruments/shakers.

-We had a fabric tunnel that would fold up for storage like an accordian & they loved to play with this at that age. It had mesh "windows" and they got a kick out of peeking at each other or having me peek in at them. We'd also put the ball pit balls in it and they'd push those through or sit in there with them.

-And when I needed a break they'd watch Leapfrog Talking Letter Factory. They all knew their ABC's and letter sounds by age 2 from watching this video.

Kris

Edited to add: One more thing I forgot at this age! We discovered the Sesame street website at this age. There is a game that is called Elmo keyboard-o-rama or something like that. You push a letter on the keyboard and then Elmo says the letter and does some silly little thing. The boys would sit side by side for a long time and take turns pushing the letters on the keyboard. It was wonderful for teaching them their letters and teaching them to share/take turns. I am convinced that they have always been great at sharing and taking turns because of this game!
    Last edited by loopyloo18; 10-13-2008 at 01:19 PM.

Get out of the house! Seriously, don't try to stay in. Go to storytime at the library. Join your local moms club. Check out the kids program at your local mall. Check your local papers for kids events. Most things cost nothing or next to nothing. Facing an entire day with several small kids and nothing to do can be daunting. There will be days when you will have to stay in with bad weather or sickness, but when you can get out, do it!

Good Luck. I found that age the toughest. Old enough to need distraction but too young to do anything on their own.

Carolyn

KOMOMMY Guest

Default Thank you....

So many great ideas. Greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks.
    Jen

Wow you got some terrific suggestions. I am not a SAHM, but in awe of them!! Mostly I wanted to say, it gets MUCH easier!!! My girls just turned 3 and they actually play with each other, it's a God send. btw~ we started p/t at 2.5yrs we are super good about pee pee, but insist on a pull up for poo poo, mostly due constipation issues. I would agree with other poster, get out of the house!!! One mistake I made was 'over prepping'. I had back ups for every possible situation. Just go!! Sometimes, I can't believe I am admitting this, I put them in comfy clothes to bed just to make getting out of house easier. In our area a lot of the kids museums are free on Wednesdays.
    MB