Thread: Slings ... (other kids)

Default Slings ... (other kids)

DS' godparents' little guy is seven weeks old. His mom had considered a sling/carrier after she found that he does like to be held alot but then read somewhere that those weren't good for small framed moms with larger babies. Any suggestions on a style that might work for them and not wreck her back? The logic seems a little faulty to me - women of all sizes have used carriers of different types with babies of different sizes for years - there's got to be something that would work for them.

TIA -
    Kathy

I would try a mei tai! I am small-framed and LOVED the mei tai - they are pricy but really well worth it - I still use it on my back with my 3 year-old! I prefer the Kozy Carrier (www.kozycarrier.com) as it is really sturdy and comfy. You can use it from newborn stage up. There are other brands of mei tais, but the Kozy is the one that everyone always says is the "gold standard" of mei tais.

I also used a Hotsling with ds - it is good, but the mei tai was much more comfortable for me and much more versatile. I could wear the Kozy for hours with no backache.

Good luck!

I am 5'2" and about 115 pounds. Pretty petite. I have used a sling, wrap and an ergo carrier, all without problems. May baby is now 21 pounds and I carry her in all 3 types of carriers without problems. The sling is convienient but not so good for long trips. The ergo is easy to use and is pretty much a modified mei tai type carrier. My DH used it too. I started out with a stretchy wrap and used it from about 3 weeks to 5 months (14ish pounds) I also have a couple of woven wraps which are a little tricky to figure out but are the most comfortable to use with a heavier baby as their weight can be spread out all over your upper body.

This weekend I carried Anna to the farmers market and back which is about 16 blocks from my home. I used a one shoulder carry with the wrap and was pretty comfy. I breastfed Anna in the wrap on the way home and she fell asleep.

I don't think size really matters when it comes to a good baby carrier. Its more a matter of how the baby is supported on you. I would never recommend a Bjorn to anyone though.

Check out the www.thebabywearer.com for more info.

Also my blog post for pics http://www.bamboozle.ca/?p=256

jknyc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I'll be honest....after the baby is 15 pounds or so, much as I wanted to love slings (and I have a new native and mei tai), I never liked any of them. I'm small--5-4 and 110. I guess I don't have a very strong core, but they always hurt like hell after an hour or so.

I did wear the new native a lot with a teeny-tiny newborn.

Default I have an Ergo (m)

I haven ever used a sling, but a variety of infant carriers for my four kids. By far the Ergo was worth every penny. The Ergo has different carrying positions (front/back and a hip carry) and an infant insert. My ds is now 28 months old and about 25 lbs and I still carry him about 2 miles/day in my Ergo quite comfortably. The weight limit of an Ergo is up to 40lbs, and I didn't think that would be too great, but I did managed to carry my 34 lb 5 yo in it the other day home from the playground after he hurt himself. I am 5'3 and 98lbs, so by no means am I a particularly robust woman.

Amanda

Default I have used slings and the Ergo...

I had a big baby, but I am also tall. However, I really doubt that sizes make a difference here...it's more in getting a comfortable positioning of the sling. I've used slings for my newborns and toddlers (hip carry) and find them very comfortable. I also love, love, love my Ergo carrier. I carry my 14 month old ds a lot with absolutely no discomfort (he is a big boy). I also carried my 40 lb dd at Disneyworld when she got tired, and it was quite comfortable.

Default Cute pictures...

I peeked at your blog. I have the same sling (same pattern even) and the same color Ergo as you. Isn't that funny?

I have one of those German woven wraps but have yet to totally get the hang of it. I do find it comfortable but it's so much easier to just wear the Ergo.

I had an Ergo and much preferred the mei tai, however, I know many that like the Ergo. The one caveat with the Ergo is that when doing the back-carry, the child cannot see around nearly as well as in the Mei tai - in the mei tai, you can get them pretty high-up so they can see over you as well as to the sides - in the Ergo, they are pretty limited to looking to the sides.