Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Feeling like a bit (ok a lot) of a Halloween Grinch...

Default Feeling like a bit (ok a lot) of a Halloween Grinch...

I am a single mom to fabulous 22m old twins. We live in SoCal where it can still be in the upper 80's low 90's with winds at the end of October.

My work has a trick or treat day for all the kids of employees. Its from 3 to 5pm, the wednesday before. It is a lot of fun to see everyone's kids. wander the halls asking for candy. So I do like it generally speaking. the kids are darling.

Here is where the grinch comes in: I work dowtown, girls are in daycare in my suburb. So... I would have drive 20-30 minutes to get them from daycare, get then cleaned up and into costumes (unless I wanted them to go as street urchins because its a play and get dirty kind of place) then drive back downtown strapped into car seats in whatever costumes, park in my not on site parking lot, whip out the double stroller, etc. Which leads me to the costume portion of being a grinch. I dont like any for their age. the stuffed animals are just way to hot and bulky (think car seat and 80+ degrees) or too frilly/not their personality. Just seems like a lot of work for something they aren't into (one twin was terrified at the pumpkin patch last weekend...) and cant eat the candy.

And I am not really into trick or treating in the neighborhood either. We get back from daycare at 5:30, eat dinner at 6, baths at 6:30 and bed at bed at 7, where they usually fall asleep the second their head hits the crib mattress. Wasnt planning on taking them out trick or treating and people are looking at me like I am a real meanie, LOL. At day care on Halloween its PJ day and I did buy them cute Halloween PJs for that and cute pair to help give out candy after bath and to sleep in.

Do I just need to lighten up or does anyone else feel like a Halloween grinch??? My twins just seem to little for it all.

kec is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

You are not a grinch! I would do exactly what you are doing. They are little and won't remember any of it. I definitely wouldn't do it if they would be scared. I think at that age, they are happy to just give out the candy.
    Kari

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default 22 months is young

I woudn't hesitate to pass up on the work party at all. It sounds like a lot of running around and if you aren't up for it, don't do it. They are so young, anyway.

I remember when my boys were that age, I think they had MORE fun handing out candy than trick-or-treating. It isn't like your little ones have an older sibling (I'm assuming) they will want to follow around. They'll have no idea what Halloween is.

If you wanted to bring them to 2-3 neighbors houses when you pick them up, then I might do that. But if you didn't, I certainly don't think you are a Halloween grinch.

There will be other Halloween's and they will enjoy it more. I'd agree they are a bit young and it sounds like a lot of stress for you. Just let it go and not worry about it.

Paula

BriNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

At this age, if you dont want to trick or treat, I certainly wouldnt bother! They are so young and wont understand anyway.

For the work event, I'd think about it. Especially if you dont often have a chance to show off your darlings. Would it give you more pleasure then stress? If the answer is no, its too stressful, then you've got your answer. As for the costumes, there are lots of cute things you can do but since I dont know thier personalities, its hard to tell (ie: tshirt and stretch pants and kitty ears etc). I always do something with my kids, but I love halloween and my kids always loved animal ears, funny hats etc- but I did it because I WANTED to, not because someone else thought I should.

What it comes down to for me, is your twins are still toddlers, you dont feel the need to do these things- so you are not doing it for them or for you...so why bother? Cute pj's, an easy dinner and handing out candy sounds like quite a bit of fun for thier age!

Thanks Ladies: think I will lighten up a smidge, LOL.

For work maybe I will take them but simply go with cute Hallloween t-shirts and black leggings and call it a day. (Hanna Andersson has some cute ones on sale). And ask day care to not let them paint all over their faces that day....

As for Halloween itself - yep PJs and handing out candy!

But wait til next year when they are almost 3 and Halloween will be on a Saturday

Default You are NOT being a Grinch...

I was EXACTLY like you when DD#1 was 2. I knew she would never remember it and it wasn't worth getting her all bundled up (where I live it is in the 40's and 50's at night) for something she neither needed (ie-candy), nor would remember. Now that she is 4 we absolutely participate, but it is easier now and she defiantely remembers last year when she was 3 1/2. Give yourself a break and wait until they will remember it. Something you may want to consider if you still think you should do something is what I did. I still got her a cute, reasonably priced costume and dressed her up and let her pass out candy. The kids that came to the door thought she was darling, and she loved getting to see all the kids come and put candy in their bags. It was just as fun as taking her out. Hope that helps.

Penny

bluerose is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I don't think so

I kind of put trick or treating of as long as I could. I hate all the candy and what can come with eating it. Mine went at 4 yrs. My dd has heart defects and had had surgry one yr a week before holloween so she did not go. I dont think they understand holloween at such a young age.

Quote Originally Posted by dlp View Post
    I am a single mom to fabulous 22m old twins. We live in SoCal where it can still be in the upper 80's low 90's with winds at the end of October.

My work has a trick or treat day for all the kids of employees. Its from 3 to 5pm, the wednesday before. It is a lot of fun to see everyone's kids. wander the halls asking for candy. So I do like it generally speaking. the kids are darling.

Here is where the grinch comes in: I work dowtown, girls are in daycare in my suburb. So... I would have drive 20-30 minutes to get them from daycare, get then cleaned up and into costumes (unless I wanted them to go as street urchins because its a play and get dirty kind of place) then drive back downtown strapped into car seats in whatever costumes, park in my not on site parking lot, whip out the double stroller, etc. Which leads me to the costume portion of being a grinch. I dont like any for their age. the stuffed animals are just way to hot and bulky (think car seat and 80+ degrees) or too frilly/not their personality. Just seems like a lot of work for something they aren't into (one twin was terrified at the pumpkin patch last weekend...) and cant eat the candy.

And I am not really into trick or treating in the neighborhood either. We get back from daycare at 5:30, eat dinner at 6, baths at 6:30 and bed at bed at 7, where they usually fall asleep the second their head hits the crib mattress. Wasnt planning on taking them out trick or treating and people are looking at me like I am a real meanie, LOL. At day care on Halloween its PJ day and I did buy them cute Halloween PJs for that and cute pair to help give out candy after bath and to sleep in.

Do I just need to lighten up or does anyone else feel like a Halloween grinch??? My twins just seem to little for it all.

Default I don't think you are being a grinch...

They are too young to care about Halloween and what you describe is a lot of work to do the full costume thing. Do whatever you want! I think Halloween shirts/leggings/pjs is great for that age. Your office thing does sound fun and cute, but you will have lots of years ahead where they will be easier to dress up and they will actually want to do those things!

Hollie_B is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

My girls aren't trick or treating. But, I am a self proclaimed Halloween Grinch. Blech. What a silly holiday. There I said it. With that said, you'll have *plenty* more years to have them dress up, decorate the house, bring them to work, trick or treat.

Smooches to C&E from us,
    Hollie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast