Thread: Car Seat Question

Default Car Seat Question

Hopefully this isn't a silly question.....

My Au Pair was out and about with both DD's this afternoon. She parked the car on the street and spent about 1 1/2 hours in the park. When she got back to the car, it was up on the curb and the whole back panel/wheel where crushed. It was an old car with high mileage and my mechanic is telling me it will probably be considered totalled (it had to be towed to the gas station). (Apparently there was a 4 car accident and my car took the brunt of it - the police left a note on my car. Luckily no one was hurt and Thank GOD no one was in my car when it happened!)

So...my question.....I had 2 car seats in the back of the car. I've always read you should replace them if you're in an accident. But what if no one was in the car seat? The car door wasn't hit...it was the panel behind the door, so there was no direct hit on the car seats. Any one know if I have to replace the car seats as well as the car?

And does anyone have a decent car for sale in the NYC area?

Lisa

Default I would have them replaced!

You never know what kind of strain or stress the carseat took when the car was hit. It sounds like it might have been hit pretty hard since it was completely moved!

Hopefully insurance will cover it.

Default Another vote for replace

Just like your car was still damaged even though it was unoccupied, the car seat likely also absorbed the force of the impact as designed to protect it's occupants even if your children were safe elsewhere. Since your car took the brunt of the accident I would replace. Insurance should reimburse you no problem.

So glad you, your children and au pair are all safe!

Heidi

jknyc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

With that sort of damage, yes, I'd replace them. If the car had to be towed away, it's too hard to sort out exactly what sort of damage could have occurred to the seats. I'd err on the side of caution.

But, wow, your kids and au pair must have been scared to see that!

psilverman is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I had a front-end collision with empty car-seats...

...my insurance company (a very reputable one) told me that if the seats are empty, they don't have the weight strain so they are ok. ANother time my nanny was rear-ended WITH the kids in the carseats (don't even ask me how I reacted when I saw the car!) and they were replaced.

Dancer is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I've had my car seats replaced once when a car pulled out of a parking lot right in front of me and I t-boned her. It was her fault and her insurance paid to replace all my seats (all 3 of them). I had 3 kids in the car seats at the time and I hit her going over 40mph.

I was then hit from behind less than 1 year later. My kids were not in the car.

I took the money for the seats but did not replace them at that time. I replaced them on faster than I otherwise would have. I have since replaced 2 of the 3 seats.

So...if they give you the money for the seats take it and replace them when you feel you should - if that is right now, replace them right now.

If they are not going to pay you for the seats, I'd probably not replace them right now but might change them out down the road - especially if I was going to have to go to bigger seats anyway.

Julia

SaraV is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I seem to remember (but can't look it up right now) that awhile back a bunch of Canadian insurers (or maybe Canadian law?) said that for low-speed crashes the seats did not need to be replaced.

Our car got crunched by a pickup truck backing up to plow a parking lot. We did not replace either carseat.

Default Ask the insurance company

I'd make sure the claim notes the car seat(s) and if they pay you for them to be replaced, just replace them.

I'd be tempted to hold on to the old ones just in case you need a spare, because I'd think that without the weight of a child in them, they should be fine. But, maybe in the end I'd pitch them anyway.

Glad everyone is ok, but sorry you have to deal with the hassle of fixing your car.

Susan