Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DD writes all her letters upside down

freddy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default DD writes all her letters upside down

I know I shouldn't be concerned (I think, anyway), and I wasn't concerned when it was just a few letters, but the more she learns to write (she's 3 1/2), the more she writes upside down. I'll show her how to write an R, which can be a tricky letter to learn, and she'll make a very nice R, upside down. I tell her an i is a line with a dot on top, she makes it upside down. A, L, T, F, R, V, all written upside down probably 98% of the time. I wouldn't be concerned if it were more like 50% of the time, but its not.

Any experience with emerging writing like this?

bluerose is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I was just last night talking to dd's teacher about this

only writing the letters and numbers backwards. She told me that at this stage it was still normal to do this. DD is 6 and in the 1st grade.

Quote Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
    only writing the letters and numbers backwards. She told me that at this stage it was still normal to do this. DD is 6 and in the 1st grade.
    I know its normal to write some of them backwards some of the time, but I don't know if its normal to write all of them backwards (or upside down) all of the time.

She is pretty young to even show any interest in writing her letters. You are right that doing that some of the time is normal. I'm not sure either if she should be doing it as often as you describe. I do know that some letter/number reversals are considered normal up until 2nd grade.

My 5y/o ds is doing some of his letters and numbers backwards and I shared my concern with his teacher. She said it's very common and it's part of their pre-writing skills that kids do that go along with their development. She did caution to say, "I think your letter is backwards (or in you case upside down)" and then model for them the appropriate writing. She emphasized not to say the word "wrong" when correcting them. I can see her point.

My 11 y/o dd who has dysgraphia showed very little interest in writing at age 3.5 and when she wrote you couldn't understand a thing she said.

I'd keep an eye on it but remember it's part of "normal" too.

Paula

Default Just a thought....

Take a piece of paper....draw a BLUE line at the top, a GREEN line a few inches down. Then draw a BROWN line in the middle (lightly).Tell her that the BLUE line is the sky, the GREEN line is the grass and the BROWN line is the fence. Try a letter like A. The letter A starts at the GRASS goes up to the SKY and then back down. Then she picks up her pencil and draws a line across the fence. Try and have her recognize the TOP of the paper and the BOTTOM. Before letter writing, I always teach kids DIRECTIONAL words, like GO DOWN, GO UP, GO ACROSS, and even CLOSE IT UP. See if with some direction, she might get it better. Before worrying, I would try these techniques to see what happens. Even before letter drawing, I'd practice with dots at the top of the page, and have her practice GOING DOWN. and then do the same for the bottom and practice GOING UP. Maybe it's just a directional/orientation situation. Even have her practice with the TOP of her head, the BOTTOM of her feet. Let me know if this helps at all.
    Allison

WasTarin is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Great post.

I wish we could give awards to posts. I would award this one.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Take a piece of paper....draw a BLUE line at the top, a GREEN line a few inches down. Then draw a BROWN line in the middle (lightly).Tell her that the BLUE line is the sky, the GREEN line is the grass and the BROWN line is the fence. Try a letter like A. The letter A starts at the GRASS goes up to the SKY and then back down. Then she picks up her pencil and draws a line across the fence. Try and have her recognize the TOP of the paper and the BOTTOM. Before letter writing, I always teach kids DIRECTIONAL words, like GO DOWN, GO UP, GO ACROSS, and even CLOSE IT UP. See if with some direction, she might get it better. Before worrying, I would try these techniques to see what happens. Even before letter drawing, I'd practice with dots at the top of the page, and have her practice GOING DOWN. and then do the same for the bottom and practice GOING UP. Maybe it's just a directional/orientation situation. Even have her practice with the TOP of her head, the BOTTOM of her feet. Let me know if this helps at all.
    Allison

dd did this in preschool--backwards and upside down. It fascinated the student workers (it was a lab school)! The teachers said it happens sometimes--as in some kids do that. She self-corrected in kgarten and has no problems now--in 2nd grade. Second dd does it some (in kgarten) and we just let it go assuming it will self-correct again.

allie

SaraV is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

DS did a lot of mirror writing in K and into 1st grade.

AGain, it corrected itself with time and practice.

In his case, he does turn out to have some visual-motor integration issues. His handwriting is still messy and difficult for him, and he does occasionally still reverse (in 3rd grade now), but it is not a reading-based LD -- he can spell really well and express himself in writing, he just has a hard time forming the individual letters neatly.

Here's a page of his writing - he would get to the end of a line and then turn and write mirror writing back in the other direction...

Those are great ideas but at this point its a much more structured than I take with practicing letters. Its pretty much an independent activity at this point, and I just demonstrate a new letter now and then.

That is fascinating. You can just see how his mind dealt with the problem of the end of the page, and the completely obvious solution. Its something I haven't seen before.

Cute picture too I love their drawings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast